Studio Ghibli Movies You Should Pair with Acts of Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki’s Japanese animation film studio, has created some of the most beloved films of our generation. One of the main aspects of Ghibli films that I deeply appreciate is the intentional beats of emptiness, or ma as Miyazaki puts it, which provide space to breathe among the busy, action-filled backdrop of the film. Every time I watch a Ghibli film and encounter moments of ma, I’m also reminded to pause and take a moment for myself, and you should be gently reminded of that, too! The ensuing Studio Ghibli movie marathon I will soon convince you to embark upon also calls for some paired acts of self-care which I have carefully curated just for you. 

Spirited Away + Drawing a Bath

Spirited Away is probably one of the most well-known Studio Ghibli films among the general public and it’s for good reason! The film tells the story of Chihiro, a young girl who must leave the human world and enter the spirit world to save her parents, who have been transformed into pigs by the witch Yubaba. One of the central settings of the film is Yubaba’s bathhouse, where mystical creatures come to bathe in comically large basins filled with steaming hot herbal water. 

It seems so fitting to pair this particular Ghibli film with the act of treating yourself to a self-care bath. It’s time to dim the lights, spark up some nice-smelling candles and fill the tub with some nice hot water. Feel free to throw in some bubble bath or that bath bomb you’ve been “saving for a special occasion.” You could even add some flower petals or herbs such as chamomile, lavender, or eucalyptus to create a unique bath blend. 

Now there’s nothing left to do but enjoy your bath and let the relaxation commence!

Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Nature Garden Packpack Hat Tshirt
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

My Neighbor Totoro + Spending Time in Nature 

My Neighbor Totoro was such a beloved film of my childhood and continues to hold a special place in my heart. The film follows the journey of sisters Satsuki and Mei as they attempt to befriend some friendly wood spirits and embark on fun adventures with the spirit, Totoro (who is also Studio Ghibli’s adorable mascot). 

Perhaps some of the most memorable moments of the film are the lush greenery, colorful florals, and majestic trees depicted in the sisters’ neighborhood. It’s hard not to feel a sudden urge to go outside and just lay on a sunny grass meadow when watching these scenes. You could pay a visit to your local park, explore a botanical garden, or even just step out into your backyard to get some fresh air and some sunlight. Spread a blanket on the grass, lie down, and let the Earth ground you. 

Howl’s Moving Castle + Nourishing Your Body With Good Food 

Howl’s Moving Castle centers around the journey of Sophie, a young woman who forms a budding friendship with wizard Howl before she is turned into an old woman by an evil witch. To revert back to her youthful appearance and protect their world from the threats of the burgeoning sorcery war, she must trust and work together with Howl. 

Ghibli films are renowned for their salivating depictions of food, and the scene in which Sophie cooks breakfast is no exception. This scene also serves to remind us of how important it is that we start our day off right and nourish our bodies with good food. Cooking can also be a form of self-care and certain dishes can also conjure up some heartwarming memories. Experiment with some new recipes from the Internet or stick with some tried and true recipes to feed your soul! 

I cannot express how much I wholeheartedly love Studio Ghibli films. They are truly a breath of fresh air that invites us to feel hopeful and teaches us to be compassionate in the oftentimes cold and tempestuous world of reality. As musician Mitski said in an interview, “His [Hayao Miyazaki] movies… just give me the answers on how to live.” 

If you haven’t seen any Studio Ghibli films before, I’d highly recommend you give them a watch and maybe try one of these acts of self-care. I promise it will be worth your time. 

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.