The Struggle of “Mid”terms On the Quarter System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The quarter system reminds me of that episode of The Office when Dwight conducts a fire drill and, in the span of 4 minutes, everything goes wrong and chaos ensues.

With just 10 weeks of instruction, there is a rush for the professors to get through as much material as possible, thereby creating havoc for students.

Essentially, the quarter is divided into three parts:

Week 1: The first week of classes

Week 2 – Week 10: MIDTERMS, PAPERS, PROJECTS, CHAOS

Finals Week: Finals

First of all, in the quarter system, midterms begin in week two.

THAT IS NOT MID.

MID IS WEEK FIVE.

What kind of sick joke is it to give these exams after five days of instruction?

What is that? Midterms are week 2 – 10? There has to be a break sometime in between them, right? Nope, because by the time you’re done with your first cycle of midterms, the cycle repeats itself again. So midterm two quickly creeps up and, if your class especially sucks, then midterm three follows.

And as the icing on the cruddy cake that is the quarter system, since almost all of the professors follow this schedule, midterms will – more often than not – overlap during the week…or even worse: the DAY.

Images are not the property of Her Campus or the author.

Tara is a senior at UC Davis who is pursuing a degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Her passions include 80's rock music and getting as many food samples as she can at Costco.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!