This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

To this day, I will always be bothered by how ruthless the Internet was to Emma Chamberlain when she said she hadn’t showered for a week. This incident seemed to demonstrate multiple problems within the fabric of our society, but what really took me aback was the stigmatization of “bad hygiene.” It not only feels extremely strange to me that people feel the need to input their opinions about another individual’s personal habits, but also deeply concerns me to see how individuals who are falling behind on their hygiene are viewed.

As I’ve continued through the depths of college life, I’ve come to realize that hygiene is a lot more akin to a self-care practice than something that’s simply a part of day-to-day life. What seems like second nature is actually quite the opposite. Quite frankly, what makes it so daunting at times is the simplicity of it. It’s an easy task to push off on your list to make one less thing to worry about, but then eventually not doing it makes you feel even worse.

woman lying in white bed
Photo by Yuris Alhumaydy from Unsplash
Things like showering, brushing your hair, or changing your clothes become increasingly harder as mental health problems worsen. The added fact that those dealing with these issues have to worry about how others are perceiving them as they deal with this makes it even more isolating. When you’re struggling, the last thing you’re thinking about is your hygiene, and it’s important to be mindful of this when you’re interacting with someone who might be exhibiting signs of poor hygiene.

Self-care and personal hygiene are obviously important things to try and maintain, but learning that it is understandable to fall behind on it is completely okay as well. It makes it even more gratifying for the good weeks when you are able to maintain a steady routine and works to destigmatize “bad hygiene” for those who are dealing with mental illnesses that don’t physically allow them to keep up their own personal hygiene.

Hygiene is all-encompassing and could even span to things such as cleaning your room or folding your laundry. It’s important to acknowledge that it’s okay to feel like these things are hard, because they are! On some of my worst days, cleaning my room or taking a shower felt impossible, and it is nothing to be ashamed about.

Ryan Norville
Changing our perceptions of hygiene habits is an important step in promoting mental health and wellness. Once we learn how to destigmatize bad hygiene, and instead begin to see it as a potential sign of something deeper, we’ll get that much closer to creating a safe place for people to talk about mental health problems and struggles.

Catherine Sievers is a second year sociology and communication double major at UCD with a Spanish minor. She enjoys writing, reading, the outdoors, and getting coffee with friends. She hopes to work in the non profit sector after graduation.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!