This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve had a long-standing obsession with chili since my senior year of high school, and I’ve finally crafted the perfect chili recipe! Over the years, I’ve tried countless variations, but this original recipe is the all-around best in terms of taste, price, and simplicity.

If you’re in need some dinner inspiration, this homemade chili is spicy, easy, and cheap (plus it’s vegetarian!). It will take about half an hour to make and it’s perfect for meal prep, so you can make the meal last over a few days. If you have leftovers and are tired of eating chili out of a bowl, spoon a little into corn tortillas and eat as a taco or spread over cheese enchiladas to give yourself a little bit of diversity!

Ingredients:

1 Red bell pepper

½ tsp. Cinnamon

1 tbsp. Chili Powder

½ tsp. Cocoa Powder

1 tbsp. Brewed black coffee

1 tsp. Cumin

1 tsp. Garlic

1 Jalapeno pepper (or buy pre-minced can)

2 cans of kidney beans

1 tsp Pepper

½ cup of salsa

1 tsp. salt

1 Yellow onion

For garnish:

1 tbsp. Cilantro

1 tbsp. Green onions

1 tbsp. Fritos or Tortilla chips

1 tbsp. sour cream

1 tbsp. Cheddar or Mexican grated cheese

Directions:

Finely chop bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and onion. (If you’re not a fan of spicy food, only chop your desired amount of jalapeno.)

Pour kidney beans into a medium saucepan and place on medium heat. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, and onion. Add in the rest of the ingredients (use mild salsa if you don’t like spicy food). Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

While simmering, finely chop cilantro and green onions.

Pour desired amount of chili in bowl. Sprinkle on cheese. Crush chips and sprinkle on top. Add sour cream. Sprinkle cilantro and green onions on top. Enjoy your homemade chili!

Thumbnail photo credit: Pixabay

*None of the images belong to Her Campus or the author

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!