Life > Academics

Navigating Academic Burnout

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the quarter nearing an end, I’ve started to notice many of the people around me, including myself, dealing with academic burnout. What is academic burnout exactly? Academic burnout can be characterized as a feeling of being overwhelmed and exhausted, due to pressures that stem from school, as well as work/home life. The stress can be overwhelming, and result in a decrease in motivation and academic performance, resulting in many students not turning in assignments, or skipping classes. Because of this, I’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks for navigating academic burnout and decreasing stress in the midst of an episode. 

1. Good study habits and time management. As someone who gets easily overwhelmed with their work, I find that establishing a good regime for studying and creating a space as to where you’re going to study (i.e., studying at your apartment/dorm, studying at the library/coho/cafe) helps decrease the stress involved around preparing for completing tasks and work. This includes time management, in which it would be helpful to have a schedule or tracker, like Google Calendar, to keep track of all of your work for the week.
  2. Finding a healthy balance between other commitments. Though it can be easy to overcommit yourself to other extracurriculars, work obligations, tasks, and responsibilities, it is important to find a balance between all of these commitments and being able to say “no” when things get too overwhelming or when you have too much on your plate.
  3. Practice self-care. Make sure to set time aside for yourself to practice some self-care. Some examples of this include journaling, going on a walk and getting some fresh air, getting a good night’s rest, and getting regular exercise. By engaging in self-care activities you can release any stress or negative emotions being pent up through meaningful activities and fun.
  4. Changing it up. It’s important to keep in mind that sometimes simply changing up a routine or study space can make a huge difference in one’s state of mind. For example, it could be helpful to complete an assignment on a different date or even choose a different location when studying for an upcoming exam. This way, things feel more fresh, rather than monotonous and routine.
  5. Setting realistic goals and expectations. Sometimes, it’s important to be honest and take a step back from all obligations, both school, work/life/home, and to set realistic goals and expectations. It can be hard to put into perspective that perfection is not necessary, especially in college, and that it’s okay not to always be extremely high achieving and to achieve perfect grades. Setting unrealistically high standards simply circles back to stressful situations that can be avoided and prevented when taking the right steps and precautions.

Dealing with academic burnout can be stressful and exhausting, however, it’s important to note that this is an extremely common feeling that many students go through throughout their time in college. It is important to consider that oftentimes, students may need support from professionals, professors, instructors, advisors, or family and friends. With this in mind, reaching out for help is important especially if symptoms are interfering with daily life, or if symptoms of burnout are causing academic difficulty, so it is important to seek out support. You’re never alone.

Hi! I'm Joanne, a Design student at the University of California, Davis! In my free time I enjoy indulging in my many hobbies/crafts (painting, jewelry making, decorating), curling up in bed with my stuffed animals and scrolling on my phone, going thrifitng and shopping for clothing, and hanging out with friends.