Wellness

More Time at Home Doesn’t Mean I Have More Time to Do Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For just about all of us, life as we know it has been rocked over the last month and a half. Our routines have disappeared, we cannot interact with family or friends, and we cannot even go to the grocery store without looking like we’re surgeons, donning our face masks and gloves. 

One thing that bugs me just a little bit about all of this, is the idea that because so many people are working and learning from home, we should have time to pick up new hobbies and try new things. Just because most of us are confined to our homes does not mean that we all of the sudden have all of this time on our hands. If anything, I feel more busy than ever during this time as I try to navigate all of the new changes and adaptations to my once oh-so familiar way of life. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash
I for one, like I am sure many of you are, am struggling during these challenging and foreign times. I do not know what I am supposed to do without a schedule or sense of normalcy. With that being said, I am here to tell you that that is okay. So many people are taking advantage of this supposed extra time they have, while some, like myself, are just taking it one day at a time, processing what is going on and moving forward. 

Since the shelter-in-place order became effective here in California, I have not taken up any new hobbies or activities. I am still a full time student, I do not have the time or energy to pick up something else to learn or do. After some time reflecting, I realized that I am perfectly okay with that. 

Sure, I get outside for some fresh air throughout the day, get a workout in sometime during the morning. But for the most part, the only view my eyes really see these days is my computer screen as I sit in the laundry room of my parents’ home doing schoolwork, pretending it is the UC Davis campus. 

Do not get me wrong, I am very grateful to have a happy, safe, and healthy home to be in during this crazy time, it is still not ideal. With that being said, I just have to work on making the most of the situation. Take each day for what it is and work to get through it and recognize that this all will pass soon.

This time we are all living in is something we have never really experienced before, it is new and ever changing. We have to be patient with ourselves and others and acknowledge that we are all doing the best we can to navigate through the craziness. We all handle challenging situations like the present one differently, and that is perfectly okay.

World closed sign
Edwin Hooper

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!