This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Various forms of art can help us cope with our mental health struggles and celebrate overcoming the negative thoughts that can weigh us down. Music is special in the sense that one can listen to a story unfold in real time, and you can go on a temporal journey with the song you are listening to. While music that is positive and happy helps some people through their struggles, I tend to gravitate towards songs that are able to feel with me. Whether that’s a fair amount of angst, intense sadness, or a desire to be done with the daily stresses, these songs capture a variety of perspectives on mental health and show that art doesn’t always need to be happy and uplifting in order to have a positive impact. 

Still, I’ve made this playlist into a story/journey with an ending that leaves you all with a bit of hope because that’s something I believe can always come after coping with all of the negative feelings. 

1. “Demons” – The National 

Favorite lyrics: “All my drowning friends can see// Now there is no running from it// It’s become the crux of me// I wish that I could rise above it.”

2. “Sprained Ankle” – Julien Baker

Favorite lyrics: “Sprinter, learning to wait. Marathon runner, my ankles are sprained.”

3. “Teeth White” – The Staves

Favorite lyrics: “And I want to know when I can start taking it slow cause I’ve had enough.”

4. “Blue” – First Aid Kit

Favorite lyrics: “Then you just decided love wasn’t for you. And every year since then has proved it to be true.”

5. “Are You Okay” – Dum Dum Girls

Favorite lyrics: “What if it doesn’t go away? What if this feeling always plays?”

6. “Fireworks” – Mitski

Favorite lyrics: “And when I find that a knife’s sticking out of my side, I’ll pull it out without questioning why.”

7. “Every Tear Disappears” – St. Vincent

Favorite lyrics: “Call the twenty-first century. Tell her ‘Give us a break.'”

8. “Pedestrian At Best” – Courtney Barnett 

Favorite lyrics: “I’m resentful; I’m having an existential time crisis. Want bliss, daylight savings won’t fix this mess”

9. “Fill in The Blank” – Car Seat Headrest

Favorite lyrics: Every single word of this song is incredible; I could not decide.

10. “I’m Not a Part of Me” – Cloud Nothings

Favorite lyrics: “I’m learning how to be here and nowhere else. How to focus on what I can do myself”

11. “Keep Your Head Up” – Ben Howard

Favorite lyrics: “And I try my best to embrace the darkness in which I swim”

12. “Sadness Don’t Own Me” – The Staves

Favorite lyrics: “Least I can say that I tried”

Happy listening! 

Her Campus does not own any of the media in this article. All music and images belong to their respective owners.

Header image source

Sonya Vyas is currently a fourth year student at UC Davis. She is a Pharmaceutical Chemistry and English double major. She enjoys listening to obscure music, reading constantly, making connections, and caring about everything.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!