Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Let’s End the Social Stigma Against Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Oftentimes, the topic of mental health is seen as a taboo subject that is not discussed by many. There are common misconceptions, seen through the stigma of mental health, that leads those affected by mental illness to be seen in a negative way. It is unfortunate that many people in society link “mental illness” to be purely composed of something that brings along negative connotations, such as viewing those affected to be dangerous, hard to talk to, lazy, or weak. This pre-set discrimination, caused by the harmful social stigma of mental health, fuels the fire of a negative feedback loop of not helping those who need support. Over time, it has gotten increasingly harder to speak of mental health, due to social media becoming a vast strain in one’s emotional health and well-being. There has been a large trend with users of social media sites, especially Twitter, using mental illness as the spotlight of their jokes.

Views of mental health have become stigmatized due to trends in society that have led people to believe that there should be fear associated with those who have mental health illnesses. Because there is a demonization aimed at those living with mental health illnesses, it is extremely common for those who need help not to seek it. According to Mental First Aid, “In the United States, only 41 percent of the people who had a mental disorder in the past year received professional health care or other services”. Many of those experiencing mental health problems are less likely to pursue help if they believe there is a negative social stigma around their condition. Mental health is often seen as a personal struggle and something one should learn to deal with alone.

flower vase bouquet
Leonardo Wong on Unsplash

Mental health might be seen as different from physical health, but in many ways they are similar, as they are both fundamental aspects needed to grow and water healthy and happy people. Living with mental health struggles does not mean that it is just something that someone can just “get over”. For example, with the constant pressure that toxic masculinity holds, most men are expected to bottle up their feelings. Most times, this is why men are less likely to accept therapy. Although over time stigma has been reduced due to education towards the topic, the pressure on males to be strong is still prevalent, which leads society to see those with mental illnesses as weak. 

Although therapy fluffies are incredibly cute, it’s okay to turn towards professional help. Ending the stigma against mental health begins with ending the demonization of therapy. Therapy is an incredible aid that allows people to find direction. People living with mental illnesses have feelings that are 100% valid, and therapy can be used as an outlet to guide one back on the path that they deserve to be on. When looking at mental health illnesses through a biological view, it is clear that mental health problems are caused by chemical imbalances of serotonin and dopamine throughout neurotransmitters in the brain. This diagnosis can only be treated if society is able to normalize the act of going to therapy. 

Be Kind Back Sweater
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
If you are searching for help locally, UC Davis offers many resources. If you are in crisis, text “Relate” to 741741 to text with a trained Crisis Counselor, call (530)756-5000, or go to North Hall during normal business hours, typically 11am – 4pm, to schedule an appointment free of charge for registered UC Davis students. 

It’s okay to not be okay. Seek help, if needed. 

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!