How to Take a Break When You Don’t Have Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I have the tendency to overwhelm myself with work every school quarter. On top of school, I am always doing things on the side to update my resume and LinkedIn. Last fall quarter, along with school, I was working my fashion internship remotely and became a campus brand ambassador for two other companies. This quarter, I have pushed myself to take 18 units (the most I have ever taken so far at Davis) whilst still working my internship remotely and doing multiple interviews for potential summer internships. While many people are impressed to see how active I am in my academic and professional career, they do not see what it is like trying to balance everything. I sometimes go weeks without talking to my friends and family and feel overworked and frustrated. You can really feel the stress hit you physically and mentally. Here are a few things that I have learned to do to lift a bit of pressure off of my mental and physical health.

Courtesy of Pexels

Exercise

No matter how busy I am, I always make time to workout for at least 30 minutes. I can either put out all my frustration into my workout, or forget everything that is going on in my life during that half hour.

Go on a coffee date with yourself

Before I get down and do work at a coffee shop, I sometimes take a moment for myself and really enjoy my drink. Knowing that I am spending just five minutes to enjoy my drink really puts me at ease and allows me to take a much-needed break.

Reading online articles

Reading online articles can not only be informative and take your mind off of things, but it doesn’t take up too much of your time. My go-to websites are refinery29.com and businessinsider.com.

Get a massage

Although this activity takes a bit longer than the one mentioned above, getting a massage can really change your mood. Massages are not for everyone, but it could also be a new thing you can try.

Sarah is current first year Textiles and Clothing major at UC Davis. She discovered her love for blogging when she started her own personal lifestyle/fashion back in high school. The rest was history as soon as it blew up. On her free time, Sarah enjoys reading biographies and memoirs, catching up on popular culture, discovering new TV shows, and brunching. Sarah hopes to pursue a career in the retail industry involving marketing or merchandising.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!