The Foodie Files: How to cut your meal prep time in half

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Now entering the last few weeks of Winter Quarter, I can’t be the only one who is struggling to juggle all of my academic and professional responsibilities along with my home life and overall health. With so much to do, it’s easy to overlook our physical health and resort to take-out and microwaveable meals, but that really shouldn’t be the case.

An inconsistency in our diet can lead to all sorts of issues. Eating tons of fast food and sugary beverages puts us at risk for obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and more. However, there are a few ways to cook quick, hearty, and healthful meals at home. Here are a few tricks:

Make a soup

Soup is one of my go-to meals to make at home. I enjoy it mostly because I can make it up as I go along, i.e.: I can just throw any vegetables, beans, or meat I have into a pot with some vegetable broth, and I have my dinners ready for the next three to four days! To minimize the mess and the time you spend on this dish, opt for vegetables that you don’t have to chop or peel, like kale, spinach, pre-cut butternut squash, or broccoli.

Buy your protein pre-cooked

Snagging a roasted chicken or a few cans of tuna from Safeway can save you a lot of time in meal prep when you’re in the mood for a hearty salad. My favorite pre-made protein? The prepared cilantro-lime shrimp from Costco, sprinkled over a bed of kale and sliced avocado.

Blend a smoothie

Like the soup, the idea behind the smoothie is that you can just throw all of your nutrients into one place, and the preparation is pretty simple.

Invest in some frozen fruits (especially the low sugar, antioxidant-rich fruits like strawberries and blueberries) and vegetables like spinach. Without the hassle of chopping or dicing, toss them into your blender with some water and extras—like a scoop of protein powder, cacao powder, peanut butter, almond butter, chia seeds, hemp seeds or ground flax seeds—and you have yourself a meal.

Buy pre-cut fruits and veggies

Lately, I’ve been obsessed with the pre-packaged butternut squash from Trader Joe’s. In addition to tossing them into a soup, I like to bake it. Try tossing the pieces in a bowl with some olive oil, pepper, and salt, transferring them onto a baking sheet, and allowing them to bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. If you decide to prepare the whole package at once, you should have enough for 2-3 meals.

UC Davis Senior Orange County, CA English & French Double Major Writer, old Hollywood film fanatic, world-class shoe collector
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!