Wellness > Mental Health

Don’t Force Yourself to Come to Class on Weeks 9 and 10

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It is noticeable that students are skipping class by the 9th to 10th week of instruction, right before finals. There are several valid reasons why students skip class, especially if class does not require mandatory attendance. Sometimes, students even skip mandatory lab or discussion sections. Here are some of the reasons why this is valid:

1: They Are Burnt Out From “Midterms” and Big Projects/Assignments During Week 9 and 10

I have lost count of how many students have complained to their friends about how inconsiderate professors assign last minute big homework assignments, big projects, or “midterms” right before finals. I think people should have the right to not go to class without being penalized because each student’s mental health matters. No one should call out students on roll call for not showing up to class or not offering make-up assignments, especially when there are other big assignments/midterms that they are giving out during weeks 9 and 10. There is not enough time to study for finals because imagine having a midterm the week before or a big paper due, only for professors to announce that finals are occurring. I wish week 8 was the cutoff for a midterm or a big paper. Why should professors call midterms a midterm if they are not giving the midterm in the middle of the quarter/semester? It does not make sense. One of my professors said this in the past, and I applaud her for this statement. 

xNtlw2AWJlq0Z1i5V4gJJqUBDtyFpHLHUF YTB380m4H9GwSMw6gCsFxn6BDz04ODJKIDxdWcisUkDli10xeHphFsdUSj0Vf

Source:Wyoming Public Media

2: They End Up Getting Sick During the Quarter, Much Before or Right Before Finals

There is always an end of semester/quarter sickness going around because students are exposed to viruses. There is a higher risk for students that work in a hospital or educational setting for a part-time job, internship, or volunteer experience because they are exposed to more sick people. By this point, students feel as if they need to get enough rest, or else, their sickness will not heal quick enough. 

According to the Daily Sundial from the CSUN Campus, students are exposed to other students that are coughing from being sick in class (2015). Since the sick student does not want to be penalized for being sick, they end up going to class. Two-year institutions have created better sick policies than 4-year institutions since there are many people going back to school or students that are trying to save up money by transferring to a four-year institution. The Daily Sundial revealed that “The California Community College Curriculum states that professors are no longer able to grade students based on their attendance. Attendance does not accurately reflect students knowledge and comprehension of the course material”.

“Personally I got sick twice this quarter, but there were not enough accommodations made. People wanted me to make up big assignments/in-class activities, or just end up with a zero for the day. I wish these issues would be addressed, and I think students in ASUCD or other faculty working in student affairs can address these issues. Students from low-income and other marginalized communities are especially negatively affected by these issues because they get exposed to worse physical and mental conditions.”

–Lauren Yi

3: There are Other Personal Relationship and Social Circumstances Affecting Our Mental Health

A family member could be going through mental health struggles or have a chronic disease that is not easily curable. I know people that drive down to their family’s house almost every weekend from Davis to check on their health and well-being. Sometimes, students even have to do this during the weekdays. This is why it is almost impossible to attend every single class. Some people may be in situations where they are dealing with domestic violence or another toxic relationship/friendship that they cannot easily break free from. 

A worst case scenario is that a student may be dealing with thoughts of suicide. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, “1 in 4 students reported having suicidal thoughts or feelings” (The Center for Connection, 2018). If some students are facing continuous struggles in their personal lives, why should they prioritize coming to class? I learned in my SPH 190 class that some students experience situations of gun violence because they live in certain historically impacted neighborhoods. People have not been talking about gun violence in a public health lens and from a prevention standpoint, according to Dr. Shani Buggs. Students of color from marginalized groups have especially dealt with higher risks of gun violence as a health disparity (Gun Violence is a Racial Justice Issue).

rc2r7GN JUAQl4r6VCj4lhx1IOV8zZRO03Ztn9WxpX5CwXR2CiFIzn8oCwuNWzWgxlCmoIpZtYSuNHX7gKreaXLS3irUCAXh

Source: United Against Gun Violence

Kdr8M0zTbx wee

Source: The Center for Connection

Hi everyone! My name is Lauren, and I am a native of NorCal. I am a fourth year Human Development major pursuing a career as an MFT to work with children and families in diverse populations. My interests are: trying new foods, trying different types of workouts and wellness routines, discovering new books/movies/tv shows, getting to know new people, and volunteering for nonprofit organizations. I enjoy doing things that allow me to explore something I haven't tried before and express my creativity, as life is an adventure to explore and broaden your horizens. I chose to join HerCampus in the UCD chapter because a friend from SJSU told me that this organization has positively changed her outlook on life. I also want to get involved in more organizations that empower women and allow them to have a voice. The most favorite thing for me to do is write content about important news, which is why I chose to join HerCampus. I am excited to meet everyone, both within and outside of my chapter!