This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Midterm season is upon us again, Aggies. Even with the beautiful Autumn weather and changing leaves, this time of year can be stressful for those of us on the quarter system.

I’ve always found that cracking open a new book can be a great stress-reliever during this busy time. Even if your schedule is jam packed, treat yourself with a new book that captures your interests and read a chapter or two each night before you go to sleep or during a study break.

Studies have shown that reading before bed, instead of scrolling through your phone, can help you sleep better at night. If you need a way to de-stress or just want a few great book recommendations, take a peek at this list of reads that will transport you to a new reality, far away from the stresses of the quarter system!

Photo Source: Annie Pratt, Unsplash

1. The Book of Dust: La Belle Savauge by Phillip Pullman

Photo Source: Goodreads

Need I say more?? This long-awaited prequel to the Golden Compass/Northern Lights series is exquisitely written with a beautifully enchanting plot. The book centers around a new protagonist, Malcolm, who is charged with taking care of Lyra and placing her with the scholars at Jordan College. Not only has this book gotten fantastic reviews, but it has been a long awaited prequel series for fans of the heroic Lyra Belacqua.

2. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Photo Source: Amazon

With the movie adaption of this book soon to be released this month, this classic mystery novel is a must-read before you hit the theater. The winter setting along with the iconic detective Hercule Poirot will immediately transport you out of the Davis heat and into a snowy, dark train with a stealthy murderer in its midst. This read is quick, captivating and great for mystery and non-mystery lovers alike.

3. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green 

Photo Source: Amazon

For Green fans, this latest novel will stop you in your tracks. This story follows Aza Holmes, a sixteen-old girl struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety. She and her best friend Daisy attempt to solve the mysterious disappearance of her childhood friend’s billionaire father, all the while dealing with relentless spirals in her mind that pull her deeper and deeper into her own obsessive fears.

Happy reading, Aggies!

Cover image source: Alissa Anton, Unsplash

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!