5 Ways To Allow More Positivity In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With our busy lives and hectic schedules, sometimes we neglect our goals and ambitions. By adopting these five mindsets, you’re a step closer to achieving your dreams and living a more positive life.

1. Set goals—these don’t have to be big goals. Write down everything you’d like to accomplish this year. Make some short-term goals to keep you motivated and move you in the right direction toward your long-term goals! Be specific when writing these down. Instead of saying “eat healthier”, try writing down “add more protein in my diet” or “limit fast food to once a week.” By specifying your goals, you work harder to not only achieve them, but also to maintain them! Don’t get discouraged when things don’t go exactly as planned. Think of every setback as an alternate route to your destination.

2. Put yourself first—we all love to hang out with our friends and do things for other people, but sometimes we neglect our own needs. Make sure you set aside enough time to study, eat well, sleep well, and work hard to accomplish everything on your annual to-do list.

3. View your life as a gift—Instead of thinking “I have to do this”, try thinking “I get to do this.” It may sound cheesy at first, but we look at a lot of our privileges as obligations. Thinking that you “have to go to work” sounds dreadful, but when you realize that you “get to go to work” because not everyone can, you start to appreciate what you have.

4.  Focus on the now—by looking backwards or worrying about the future, you exert energy that can be used much more productively. Being upset about a low grade isn’t going to raise it, but you can use that setback to motivate yourself to change your study habits.

5.  Let go of negativity—whether it’s a negative person, environment, or even a negative mindset (you can be your own worst enemy), let go of all the guilt, doubt, envy, and hate that is preventing you from being the best you that you can be.

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!