Wellness > Mental Health

5 Lies We Tell Ourselves and Mantras to Replace Them With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I am sure you have heard of the phrase: “be mindful of your thoughts because thoughts become reality”. But did you know there’s actually a science behind it? Kris and Tim Hallbom state that there is a part of our brain called the reticular activating system (RAS) that “takes instructions from your conscious mind and passes them on to your subconscious mind”. The RAS works to trigger behavioral patterns centered around thoughts and self-beliefs. Hallbom also states: “because of this biological function, whatever you are thinking about or focusing upon will seep down into your subconscious mind only to reappear at a future time”.

If our mind is dominated by self-doubt and negative self-talk, our RAS will do everything in its power to materialize that reality. If we eliminate the lies we tell ourselves and replace them with positive new beliefs, our RAS will help manifest a new reality around us through people, events, and places.

jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

The easiest way to shift our mindset is to stop our thoughts in their tracks and replace them with something more positive. Shift your focus from negativity to use softer, kinder, gentler words towards yourself. By utilizing these simple mantras below, you can work to shift your mindset and stop believing the lies you tell yourself.

After conducting a survey with local college students, I put together a list of the five common lies or thoughts we tell ourselves and am providing positive affirmations to help shift our mindset. 

1. The lie: I should not have done that.

The mantra: I free myself of all judgment. I constantly learn and grow from my mistakes.

1. The lie: I am not enough.

The mantra: My worth is not determined by others. I am enough. I am destined for greatness.

1. The lie: I feel stuck.

The mantra: I acknowledge every opportunity life provides me as a means to learn and come one step closer to my true potential.

1.  The lie: I don’t have time for self-care.

The mantra: I am allowed to take time to prioritize myself and my own needs in order to feel more balanced and grounded.  

1.  The lie: I do not know my purpose.

The mantra: I have unlimited potential. I do not need to feel pressured to conform to one path. I am open to all of life’s opportunities and am excited to expand my horizons.

Be mindful of your thoughts because they have the ability to shape your concept of self and manifest into the foundation of your reality and experiences. By utilizing these mantras to shift your mindset, you can not only improve your mental health but also your life.