Style > Beauty

Why Rare Beauty is Quickly Rising to the Top

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In early September of 2020,  Selena Gomez, the beloved singer-songwriter, actress, and activist added another entrepreneurship  to her list of talents with the launch of Rare Beauty, a makeup line that hasn’t died down since. The renowned brand known for their aesthetically pleasing packaging and all inclusive shade range won the 2021 Reader’s Choice Award for best new brand and the 2021 Best of Beauty Award for their TikTok trending Stay Vulnerable Melting Blush. The brand since then has taken off and has positively impacted the beauty community.

Since announcing the launch of the brand, Gomez has given her fans several interviews that take a deep dive into the behind the scenes, from her inspiration for creating the brand to the mission she wishes to achieve. She is passionate about bringing more to the world other than blushes and lipsticks, wanting to create a space for her fans that allow them to creatively express themselves. “[Rare] has become the identity of my brand and who I want to be, which is showing people that being diverse and different, whatever was happening, I wanted it to feel like you were included,” she revealed. Mental health has always been a topic Gomez is passionate about and she constantly works towards tearing down the negative connotation around mental health. She truly believes there’s “complete beauty in imperfection,” which is why makeup should just be an accessory. “[Makeup] should be something that you’re proud of wearing and highlighting what makes you beautiful and if you’ve ever felt another way internally, that’s the whole reason why I started the fund,” says Gomez in an interview. 1% of her proceeds will go to Rare Impact Fund, a charity fund that serves as a tool to provide more access to mental-health resources and programs, especially for underprivileged communities and aiming to raise $100 million dollars over the next decade. If you loved her before, you’ll love her even more.

Other than the brand’s mission, Rare Beauty is also hugely known for the beauty products itself. Launching with 48 all inclusive foundation shades, the brand has evolved and expanded the amount of diversity in their products. Lipsticks, blushes, highlighters, and concealers barely scratch the surface. Whatever you need, Rare Beauty has you covered. From products to shade range, it has yet to disappoint. The brand has continued to add all types of products for a fair price and amazing quality. Beauty gurus all over have reviewed these products and have deemed them as their favorite for a natural or buildable look.

Rare Beauty products rarely fail us, all while promoting mental-health awareness. Gomez truly cares about her fans and products and for that reason, Rare Beauty will continue to rise to the top.\

Jasmine Padda

UC Riverside '24

just your average pre-med student that occasionally writes :,)