Roased Veg
Roased Veg
Christin Urso / Spoon

Why I Transitioned to a Plant-Based Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Time-traveling back into the days where I consumed meat almost every day of life, my mind and body were feeling their worst. Having grown up in a Mexican household, the majority of dishes that were made for us to eat contained meat. It wasn’t until I turned 18, I decided to make the drastic change in completely ditching this food source and switching to a plant-based diet for the better. Here is why I did:

I remember having constant fatigue when I consumed large amounts of red meat (beef and pork). I would get muscle pain in my legs, migraines, and the worst digestive problems anyone could think of. Overall, I noticed that I felt disgusted after eating and I wanted to try something new that would help me feel good and nourish my body instead.

Woman laying down on a couch covered in a blanket.
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
 That is when I discovered the benefits of a more plant-based diet, which has been proven to lower the risk of conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Consequently, I noticed right away that the muscle pain started to disappear, my skin looked the brightest and clearest, I felt less tired, and (TMI) my bowel movements were smoother than ever! Rightfully so, I’ve felt the healthiest I have ever been. 

Unsplash
Transitioning was hard at first, but I was determined to eat foods that would provide me with the most health benefits. I began to incorporate lots of vegetables, fruits, legumes, and grains into my meals, all of which are nutrient-dense foods. Now, of course, the big question I always get for not eating meat is, “where do you get your protein?” Thankfully, there are many ways in which you can find them here, but my personal favorites are tofu and kale. 

Part of the plant-based diet includes limiting the amount of processed foods you intake, so rather than splurging on junk and fast food like I used to, I put my money towards buying my own groceries. This made me save so much compared to going out to eat and has allowed me to cook my own meals at home. 

Ella Ollson Unsplash
I hadn’t cooked this much until now and I enjoy every time I do because it’s become a comforting part of my alone time and I can easily make a vibrant, colorful recipe that will make me feel energized and satisfied. Thankfully, this transition has opened my eyes to new foods that I had never even heard of before and has made me feel more appreciative of what Mother Nature has to offer. 

Of course, there have been occasional slip-ups here and there, and I won’t lie by saying that there aren’t temptations. However, I don’t beat myself up over it because I never want to feel restrained or deprived when I’m eating, which is why this diet has been the most flexible and efficient way for me. After all, there’s nothing wrong with treating myself a little when I know that I’ve done my part in keeping both my body and mind healthy and happy. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.