Wellness

Three Ways to Maintain Gratitude

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In the hustle and bustle of life, it can be hard to take time to relax. Taking a step back might feel overwhelming at the moment. But, when you practice small moments of gratitude, it can create strength to carry on during moments of disappointment.

(Photo by Elite Healthcare

1. Meditate in the Morning and Night 

Turn on a calming song and take deep breaths. In the business of life, breathing can feel like a given; but when you deeply inhale and exhale you can find yourself in a place of mental clarity. This can be through yoga or on your bed. Find a comfortable setting where you can decompress all your stress. Take steps of breathing inwards and outwards. Allow this center of peace be the driving purpose for your day.

(Photo by Skip Prichard

2. Count Your Blessings 

During midterms and finals week, it can be hard to sit back and count your blessings. There’s an overwhelming pressure to succeed and get that good grade. But, being grateful doesn’t need to look complicated. You can start by counting small blessings. At the end of the day, think about the positives. It might be helpful to write it on a post-it note to remind yourself of all you have carried through. 

(Photo by Tumblr

3. Share Your Gratitude

When you maintain gratitude you have the opportunity to be grateful for others. As you encourage others, this doesn’t only make others feel good but  it can release endorphins for you as well. Write a card to a friend who means a lot to you. Give a small gift to someone who has positively impacted your life. This can generate good energy all around you.

As we get older, stressors are inevitable. They can come in all forms and sometimes they can come into our lives unexpectedly. When you continually maintain a sense of gratitude you’ll feel an inner strength to help you build stronger coping mechanisms. This strength can be a great source of motivation for your life.

Yale Chung

UC Riverside '21

An artist. A learner. A proclaimer. Lover of words and empowerment. In my free time I enjoy listening to personalized narratives and petting my dogs. I am a firm believer in freestyle dance and ice cream.