Wellness

Things to Keep in Mind as You Enter College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I started my journey at UCR last year. Riverside is about an hour and a half from my hometown and considering that I had never been on my own for more than two weeks, it was a major turning point in my life. The whole summer I was looking forward to moving out and finally being on my own, however, when move-in day finally arrived, I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn’t help but tear up every time I realized I wouldn’t see my family every day anymore and the fact that I would have to have to adjust to a city that was essentially foreign to me. 

Naturally, the first few weeks were rough. I was so stressed that it caused me to not eat or sleep properly. I kept worrying that I’d never adjust to my new life in college or that all the stress would overwhelm me and I would fail every class I took. Fortunately, these thoughts couldn’t have been more incorrect. Looking back at that experience a year later makes me realize just how much we can grow in a year – physically, mentally and emotionally. So if this is your first year as a college student and you’re feeling anxious, try keeping the following in mind: it all ends up okay. 

(Photo by Jacob Aringo via teamaringo.org)

As cheesy as that sounds, it really does end up okay. It only feels bad now because it’s a new experience. Throughout the year you’re going to learn so much about yourself and more about who you are. You’re going to meet so many people; some will be good for you, some will be bad for you, and some will just be those random people you see around campus and wave hello to. You’ll also make a lot of mistakes that might discourage you and that’s okay because all of this ultimately helps shape you into the person you’re becoming. 

Focus on doing well in classes and getting that degree. If you don’t know what you want to major in yet, don’t stress! You have so much time to figure it out. Take classes in a bunch of different subjects and see what really interests you; your major will come naturally to you. Remember to take care of yourself, and I don’t mean putting on a face mask and calling it self care; actually pay attention to your mental and physical health, reach out to someone you trust or one of UCR’s many resources if you need help.

Join a bunch of organizations and get involved, that way you also make new friends. Know that whenever you face anxiety or sadness, especially when you first start college, your feelings are always valid and normal. So as you begin this new chapter of your life, relax. Enjoy this adventure. You’re growing, and growth is not linear. It has its ups and downs. Both are necessary in order to become the best version of ourselves that we can be.

(Photo by Ryan McGuire via gratisography.com)

Lina Bayat

UC Riverside '22

Little South African girl with big ambitions