This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Anxiety is something that I have always struggled with. It was one of the first things I talked about through my time with Her Campus, and it continues to be a topic that I discuss as I receive therapy and treatment. One of the newest hurdles that came with tackling mental health issues, however, involved the realm of medication that is prescribed. 

The National Institute of Mental Health reports that 39.1% of adolecents experience some kind of anxiety disorder. My journey began when I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder at the age of fourteen. Because I was just reaching that period of my emotional development, my parents wanted me to seek therapy rather than take the medication route. I spent the past six years going between therapists of different backgrounds, desperate to find some kind of treatment. 

Therapy worked for a while. I was able to find a set of coping skills, investing in hobbies and other types of different activities that would ease my anxiety. I would practice mindfulness, try different exercises, paint, utilize aromatherapy, and eat a lot of different snacks to distract my mind from tearing itself apart. When the pandemic took place, I felt like I had control over my mind until I came back in person. 

That control went out the window when adjusting to the in-person classes, resulting in where I’m at now. My panic attacks came back with a vengeance, along with tension headaches on a weekly basis. I started seeing a psychiatrist, who was shocked that I was never put on anxiety medication despite my family history and how long I’ve been experiencing it. For a while, I was scared about seeking that kind of support, and worried about developing a dependency on something that could have altered my mind. But, therapy can only do so much, and it no longer worked alone for me. 

At the time of this article, I have now been on anxiety medication for two weeks. It’s important to note that I’m on one that takes two weeks to take effect. The full effects will take a while to adjust to, but I was baffled by the way that I managed to traverse through so many social situations like I was a normal person without mental health issues. I felt normal for the first time in years, and it was surreal. I hope that kind fo feeling remains, but only time will tell.

I have so much to learn when it comes to the realm of anti-anxiety medication. However, it gave me a glimpse of hope for the future and my wellbeing. This is for the people who are considering the possibility of getting on medication, and may feel uncertain about trying it out. Anxiety medication has not only given me the chance to live like a normal person, but take back control of my mind when I wasn’t able to before. 

Kayla Batchelor

UC Riverside '23

I'm an English major that is dedicated to writing about mental health, entertainment, relationships, politics, LGBTQIA+ issues, and literature.