This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

During this pandemic, I enjoy being home and turning on my laptop to attend class. I can wake up stress-free without being in a rush to physically make it to campus. However, the days in quarantine start to feel the same and it tends to get repetitive. So, I wanted to step up my morning routine to spice things up a bit, that way my days won’t feel like a cycle. Incorporating the slightest things made me feel way better with my routine for school and for my mental health. 

Not Checking My Phone Right When I Wake Up

I am obsessed with checking social media right when I wake up. I realized that it was a toxic way of starting my day because I was putting other people before myself. By that, I mean that I cared about seeing what other people were up to online instead of focusing on myself. What I started to do every morning was wake up, turn my alarm clock off, get ready for school, cook breakfast, and then finally check my phone. Dedicating time to myself right when my day starts feels amazing and in a way, very cleansed. Putting myself first by doing my self-care morning routine before checking what other people posted was and is way more important and beneficial.

Drinking Lemon Water

Water is essential and refreshing by itself, but have you ever tried lemon water? I love filling up my hydro flask with water all the way and squeezing fresh lemon in it. It makes me feel more energized, hydrated, and refreshed. As stated in Healthline Magazine, lemon has a “good source of vitamin C, promotes weight loss, improves skin quality, and aids digestion.” For those who don’t enjoy drinking lots of water because it’s too bland for them, lemon also gives it a better taste.

Exercising In The Morning

I love to workout every day but before the pandemic, I would go to the gym late at night. By working out late at night, I would eat late, which is horrible. After drinking my lemon water, I now like to go out to my backyard and soak up the sun while I get a good workout in. Since it’s in the morning, the sun is not too hot nor too bright which makes me feel even more energized. 

Incorporating these simple habits into my morning routine has improved my mental health during this quarantine. Every day is the same and I can’t control what’s going on in the world but what I can do is how I can make the most out of this routine while trying to stay safe. My mood instantly improves from doing these things and I hope it can help those who feel like they are in a cycle as well.

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.