How Scotty Sire’s Album is More Meaningful Than Other “YouTube Music”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

What comes to mind when we hear that a YouTuber has released music are embarrassing diss tracks and comical parodies. Because of this, most people group together any songs or albums made from these influencers into a category of its own: “YouTuber Music.” Most of us roll our eyes and swear to never listen to this notorious genre except for ironic reasons. However, Scotty Sire,  previously known for his videos on the popular site Vine, has successfully broken this trend.

His first full album, Ruin Your Party, released on October 12, 2018, focuses on his experience with social anxiety, a topic other YouTube artists typically do not discuss seriously. Fans love him for his ability to talk openly about his social anxiety through his music and videos. As a social media star, his open-book attitude is a step towards breaking the stigma against mental health. Considering the increasing presence of the online world, the amount of teenagers suffering from anxiety is steadily rising. Sire offers a new voice to young teenagers, letting them know that they are not alone.

Sire’s album is a true solace for those who struggle with any anxiety or depression disorder. Being able to relate to these songs provides us with hope and a way to express our own individual feelings, which is a huge stepping stone. We must de-stigmatize emotional behavior disorders now more than ever, and using music like Sire’s can start to open the doors for that discussion.

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.