This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Sometimes, the blues hit hard and you’re stumped not knowing how to feel better. You’re not alone, we’ve all been there. It helps to focus on yourself once in a while in order to energize your body and mind. Here are my favorite things to do when I’m trying to pick myself up.

1. Shower

(Photo by Abigail Lynn on Unsplash)

A good shower will do wonders. Pick the right temperature for you and play some of your favorite music. Clear your mind or sing along to the music. You’ll feel clean and refreshed. Afterward, put on some comfy pajamas and cozy up under blankets.

2. Watch your favorite movie

(Photo by Charles Deluvio PHCA on Unsplash)

Tangled is my go to movie. I love anything Disney, but Tangled makes me cry both happy and sad tears. If you haven’t let yourself cry in a while, it might be a good idea to do so.  Sometimes all you need is a good cry. Once I’m done drying up my tears play Ariana Grande’s “No Tears Left to Cry” and you’re ready to take on the world.

3. Write

(Photo by NeONBOARD  on Unsplash)

Writing helps me gather my thoughts on the page about what’s bothering me or going on in my life. There are times where I let my stream of consciousness do its thing and I realize why I’m feeling the way I do. If you’re having a hard time getting started, write poetry, a letter to yourself, or make a list of the things you are grateful for.

4. Wash your bedsheets

(Photo by Sylvie Tittel on Unsplash)

Have you ever slept on bedsheets that have recently gotten out of the dryer? My point exactly. They’ll smell amazing and be super warm.

5. Declutter your space

(Photo by rawpixel  on Unsplash)

Sometimes seeing how messy my room has gotten can put me in a bad mood. It’s also extremely stressful to see it that way, especially when you’re trying to get work done. But, after I’ve cleaned my area a little I’ll instantly feel more productive.

6. Go to the gym

(Photo by Meghan Holmes on Unsplash)

Squat it out! When I’m feeling a little down I like to get my blood pumping. I’ll go to the gym and solely focus on my exercises and how good it is for my body. If you can’t go to the gym do some simple stretches in your living room.

7. Go outside

(Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash)

If you’ve been cooped up inside your house all day, go outside and have the sunlight graze your skin. If you’d like, you could also take a short walk around the block.

8. Go to target

(Photo by Laura Marques on Unsplash)

Target cures everything, especially the $1 section.

9. Get your eyebrows done

(Photo by A L L E F . V I N I C I U S Δ​ on Unsplash)

Girl, when you’re eyebrows are done, you can rule the world. I get really self-conscious when my eyebrows aren’t tamed, but when I go get them done I’ll come out feeling confident.

10. Nap

(Photo by Gregory Pappas on Unsplash)

There are times when nothing works and I’ll end up taking the longest nap ever. I’ll wake up refreshed and ready to continue my day.

Work and school are important, but so is taking care of your body. Your mental health matters. If you feel like you have been overworking yourself lately, take a break and try one of these self-care ideas above.

GLADIS GOMEZ

UC Riverside '19

I am a 4th-year Creative Writing major minoring in Media and Cultural Studies. I love everything Disney and going out for brunch.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.