Kellyn Simpkin-Girl Scrolling Phone High Waisted Jeans Watch Curly Hair Cactus
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

Types of People I Unfollowed on Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

My screen time has gone up more than ever since the start of my quarantine. I have been checking the updates of global and local news regularly, and I noticed that my anxiety levels were too high. I had no problem with reading up on current events on the app, but I did have a problem with the types of accounts that appeared on my feed. Social media is an excellent tool for creative inspiration, education, and connections, but I needed to filter out some accounts that did NOT serve me well. Creating boundaries on social media has become a form of self-care for me. Now, here are the types of accounts that I unfollowed on Instagram.

Mainstream Models

I currently do not follow any mainstream models and have actually blocked many on my account. I have nothing against the models that I have blocked. I know that many models work extremely hard in an exclusive (and traditional) industry that is extremely Eurocentric. I just personally chose to block many famous models on my account for my own self-esteem. The majority of the photos of models that we see on social media are all photoshopped, and I do not want to support or glorify unrealistic beauty standards. However, I do admire many models who have realistic physical features because they represent real people. 

Tone Deaf Celebrities

Certain celebrities have become too out of touch since the beginning of the pandemic. Many have expressed that they feel like they are in a “prison” in their big million dollar mansions, while families of six live in two-bedroom apartments. I simply do not want to hear another celebrity complain about how they can not attend luxurious events or visit other countries. The world has more issues to care about than theirs. 

Eurocentric Beauty & Clothing Brands

The first thing I look for on the Instagrams of clothing and beauty brands is the models featured on their account. I check to see if they have diverse models of all skin colors, body types, etc. If they only have white and/or skinny models, I don’t spend another second on their account. It’s 2020; get with the program @brandymelvilleusa.

Health-Obsessed Influencers

I do follow health accounts, but they are specifically for mental health and herbal healing. The health accounts that I avoid, and have blocked, are the ones that promote unhealthy and obsessive practices and diets. Additionally, I don’t follow workout accounts because I can easily find workout videos on YouTube. I don’t need to see people doing push-ups while I am looking for room decor inspirations. Again, boundaries are essential!

Guilt-Tripping Vegans & Sustainability Bloggers

I’m not going to lie; I also follow minimalists and vegans. However, I do not follow people who guilt-trip people for not following a lifestyle that is similar to theirs. Practicing sustainability is a privilege. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to create a functioning, sustainable lifestyle. Everyone’s journey is different, and we need to celebrate everyone’s small victories. 

Family YouTubers

I cringe when I see family vloggers on YouTube that have millions of subscribers/followers. Specifically, the family bloggers that mainly use their babies and kids for content. The ones who also try to make their life look “relatable” in their enormous mansions. They are similar to tone-deaf celebrities. I simply want these parents to NOT raise their children in stress-inducing situations and always put a camera up to their face. 

Life Coaches

Life coaches are actually intimidating, to be quite honest. I stir away from them because I do not think these “motivational” or “inspirational” people are best for everyone to get any influence from. First of all, they don’t know anything about you, so why should you get advice from them? I notice many of these coaches criticize people for repeating patterns that do not do well for them. These patterns probably can not be broken because they haven’t done inner-work or trauma healing. Many people need a therapist, not a life coach. 

— 

To be clear, I’m not going to judge you if you do follow these types of accounts. I just wanted to share with you my own thoughts and opinions. Many influencers lack authenticity, and I’m just simply not interested in seeing their superficial life. Like I said before, it is all about boundaries, and I just want you to do what is best for you. Thank you for reading!

Rehana is pursuing double degrees in Film & Media and Ethnic Studies with an interest in screenwriting, creative non-fiction, and oral histories. A proud Capricorn, she enjoys spending her time daydreaming about flaky pastries, baby otters and Studio Ghibli films.