Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness

Take Care of Yourself This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: Christmas songs are playing on the radio, the TV commercials are in the holiday spirit and everyone’s scrambling to buy presents. But things are quite different this year, as we can’t spend time with our loved ones. Not to mention, many people are out of a job and struggling to support themselves and their families during this pandemic. For just about all of us, things are quite bleak this year and we’re wondering if it’s worth it celebrating this time around. Everyone is more than deserving of celebrating, but not at the expense of one’s mental health. 

It’s important to check in with yourself every day, and during this time it can be especially helpful. Not everyone views the holidays as a positive time of year, and if that describes you, then it’s crucial to make sure you’re taking care of yourself. If you find yourself needing to take a break, feel free to step back for a moment and assess how you’re feeling. Take the time to go through your coping mechanisms. If you’re unsure of what might work for you, test some things out. You could try going for a walk, meditating, getting some fresh air, reading a book and many more things. What works for you is the right way to go.

Girl holding cup of coffee and book
Photo by Vincenzo Malagoli from Pexels
As for the usual expectations that come with the holiday season, figuring out what works for you is also essential. For instance, maybe you host a Christmas party every year and invite your friends and family. This year, attempting customs like that isn’t safe or easy. There are alternatives you could try: a Zoom Christmas party, a movie marathon at home or even a small dinner with those in your household to ensure that you and your loved ones are safe. If you don’t feel like cooking, order some of your favorite comfort foods. If you can, support a local small business! We’re all in this together, and every little bit helps if you’re able to provide for others.

Speaking of togetherness, also remember that there’s strength in numbers. Reach out to your loved ones—and let them know how you’re doing. Ask them what’s new in their lives, and keep in contact with them. A support system is especially important during this time or whenever you feel stressed or even alone. However, one thing you should remember is that you’re not alone, and we’re all trying to get by. Your problems are not insignificant or silly; they are worthy of being seen, and you are worthy of feeling safe. 

So, how should you celebrate the holiday season? There’s no one-size-fits-all method. However you choose to carry on this year is ultimately up to you. You don’t have to feel obligated to do anything that you don’t want to. If you want to hold a (safe) gathering, that’s okay! If you feel burnt out or like it’s not worth the energy this year, that’s okay too. Do what works for you, because your mental health is immensely important. Lastly, I want to leave this last tip with you: be patient with yourself. This year has thrown so many things our way that we never would’ve expected. It’s okay to have bad days, and it’s okay to take a breather. Healing doesn’t happen overnight, so don’t push yourself too hard. At the end of the day, you can only truly manage your own health, so it’s best to make it a priority. Whether you choose to celebrate this year or not, I hope you have a great holiday season. Happy Holidays!

Maya Alleyne

UC Irvine '24

Hello readers! My name's Maya, and I'm a first year English major at UC Irvine. I enjoy reading, writing short stories, and spending time with friends and family. I aspire to become a screenwriter, so you'll always see my eyes glued to the screen when I'm watching a good movie. I hope you enjoy what I write here!