This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Next to instant ramen and frozen food, pasta holds a spot on the college student’s list of no-hassle dishes.  But when tomato and Alfredo sauce tire the taste buds, turn to a greener option to satisfy both the body’s energy and nutritional needs.  Pasta topped with an avocado-based sauce can provide a savory, healthy, and filling meal simple enough to make even on a weekday.  Naturally creamy in texture, avocado sauce combined with extra virgin olive oil includes all the benefits that the fruit as a whole would offer, and can easily be mixed into any kind of pasta.

Commonly found in sandwiches and salads, avocados are not only rich in flavor, but also rich in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.  Its high-fat content is mostly composed of monounsaturated fat, which can help lower cholesterol.  Avocados are normally harvested in the fall and spring and take at most a few days to ripen.  As with other avocado dishes, avocado pasta is easiest to prepare when the fruit is firm enough to mix in a food processor.  Avocado sauce can also be enjoyed over a main course like salmon or as a dip.  It’s even spreadable on toast!

Avocado Pasta Recipe

Appliances:

Food processor

Ingredients:

1 large, ripe avocado, pit removed and peeled

1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on flavor preference)

½ cup extra virgin olive oil

1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)

salt

pepper

pasta of your choice

Optional: handful of fresh basil and few slices of onion

Directions:

1. In a food processor, blend extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and optional onions together.

2. Add basil to the mixture, then blend a few seconds to finely chop ingredients and thoroughly mix extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.

3. Add avocado and pulse until creamy.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Mix sauce in with the prepared or cold pasta.

5. Optional: add lemon zest on top for more lemon flavor.

Store avocado sauce in airtight container for up to four days.  Oxidation and a change of color may occur, but the sauce will still taste fine.  This recipe is both gluten free and vegan.    

Photo courtesy of http://www.swapmeat.ca/?p=28

Celina is a third year economics major at UC Irvine.  Her interests include playing sports, reading the news and books, and trying new food.  Besides being a writer for Her Campus, Celina is also a member of Active Minds, a mental health awareness club, and the karate club at UCI and is a site supervisor for an outreach program for high school freshmen.  
...