This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Midterms are here whether you are prepared, starting to prepare, or just need more time. I have compiled this list from outside resources and personal experience to help you be successful during this midterm season. 

1. Create a study plan

Once you look at the class syllabus or a recent email from the professor for the date for the upcoming midterm, assess whether you have a few weeks or a few days to start studying. The sooner you prepare, the better the outcome. 

2. Ask what kind of test it is going to be

Different tests require different strategies. If it is a closed-book without notes, then create flashcards, create study groups, attend tutoring sessions by a teaching assistant (TA, and go to the professor’s office hours. Maximize your understanding of the material to the point that you can teach others with confidence. If it is an open-book exam with available notes, make sure your study materials are organized and can be easily accessible during the exam. I recommend printing everything out. Prior to this, attend tutoring sessions,  speak with the TA and the professor at office hours to make sure you have the correct information; see if you can apply your new-found knowledge to answer complex questions. 

3. Don’t be shy, ask questions

All questions are valid. If you are confused about a topic, ask questions immediately. This will help you in the long-term while preparing for your midterm exam. Plus, you’d be helping others. If you have a question, it is most likely your peers have the same question as well. 

4. Study smart 

When I mean study smart, I mean to take part in active learning. Active learning is when you apply the knowledge and material you learned from the lecture, notes, etc to solve problems. In math you don’t read math problems, you practice problems in order to understand the subject. Active learning can be applied to any subject by answering problems from the study guide, reading the textbooks and answering questions at the end of the chapter, and creating questions from the lectures in which you can try to answer, and then ask the TA or professor if your thought process is correct. 

5. Find a study space that mimics the test environment 

Advice that I have received from students studying for the MCAT is that they study in an environment that limits distractions and replicates the test environment. Right now during COVID, the testing site would most likely be in your bedroom or somewhere that has a decent internet connection – which is easy to mimic. Study in that environment but do not be afraid to change location every so often. Prior to COVID, I would study in empty lecture halls to mentally prepare myself for the day of the midterm. 

6. Practice self care

Yes, it is important to study smart and hard for midterms but also take a break in between sessions. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Studies have shown that for long study sessions the brain is only able to remember the start and the end of the session. However, have discipline if you are going to watch one episode of “One Day At a Time.” Make sure it is only one episode and not one season in a seating. 

7. Have confidence 

Studying smart and hard is great but remember to have confidence that you will be successful during this midterm season and beyond. If you are not understanding something, always ask for help from the TA or professor. Utilize your support system when you are feeling self-doubt. Above all, remember you got this!

Hello, I enjoy writing and expressing myself with words. I hope my word can create conversations with others and be helpful for readers.