Wellness > Mental Health

15 Positive Affirmations To Start Telling Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Everybody has their good and their bad days. During these bad days, you may find it difficult to remain positive. COVID-19 has led to what seems like an infinite amount of bad days. It just seems to keep taking things away from us. Classes, graduations, internships, travel and any semblance of normalcy we once had. How can we be positive through it all? In my Positive Psychology class, I learned about positive affirmations, which can help you overcome all the negativity and improve your mindset. So, you may be asking “what are positive affirmations?” They are positive reminders or statements that can be said out loud or written down to encourage or motivate you. I listed 15 positive affirmations below that you can use to fight the negativity. 

1. I am good enough.

2. I will get through this.

3. I will be ok.

4. My past has not defined me; it has only strengthened me. 

5. Everything will work out how it is supposed to.

6. I can do anything that I set my mind to.

7. My path is carved towards greatness. 

8. I have everything I need to be successful.

9. I am in charge of my own destiny.

10. I am the architect of my life; I build its foundation and control its contents. 

11. I will continue to choose happiness. 

12. I embody strength and intelligence.

13. I am beautiful inside and out. 

14. I approve of myself and love myself completely and deeply.

15. This is just the beginning of my life. 

It is time to start believing in the power of positivity. They can shape how you view yourself and how you perceive the world around you. If you did not find these to be relevant for you, create your own by reflecting on the good things that are specific to you and know to be true about yourself and your life. Whatever affirmations you choose, I hope you find the light amongst the darkness. 

sign with positive messageand eyeglass
Binti Malu / Pexels

Taylor is a fourth year Psychological Sciences and Criminology double major. As a born and raised Northern Californian, she is passionate about the outdoors with hiking and camping being some of her favorite activities. When she is not doing that, she can also be found exploring record shops, watching Netflix, or trying to relive her soccer glory days.