This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Trigger Warning: Self-harm, Suicide

Many months ago, I, like many, curled into bed under the pixelated sheen of my computer screen to watch the 2020 Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma. Before beginning, I assumed the film would be a true exposé calling us out on the technology-fueled simulation in which we live. I expected claims of sheer ignorance, or maybe even immunity, to the mechanic humdrum that has become our lives. Yet, as I watched as this drama-documentary unfold with disturbing scenes of violence and psychological exploitation that young adolescents are subjected to daily, I was profoundly moved, but not in the way that I had imagined. 

What particuarly made my stomach turn were the statistics of pre-teen suicide and self-harm. In the documentary, Professor Jonathan Haidt, Social Psychologist at New York University Stern School of Business, cited that since 2009, there has been a 62% increase in the number of U.S. hospital admissions for non-fatal self-harm for girls aged 15 to 19. Even more startling was his explanation that pre-teens aged 10 to 14 have seen an increase of 189%. The same patterns have been observed with incidents of suicide. As I watched these statistics manifest themselves within the visual narrative of a pre-teen girl struggling with her self-image, I felt immense empathy for her. I was also terrified at the realization that her pain resonated way too closely with both myself and millions of people around the world. 

A woman looks at her reflection in the mirror.
Photo by Jessica Ticozzelli from Pexels

To this day, I cannot stop thinking about these statistics, as well as the ways in which distorted standards fostered by social media have become a vector of damage in my own life. I spent my high school years in a boarding school in the UK, where I was one of five Indian girls. Getting miscalled by other students and teachers as another Indian girl became a very regular thing. In addition, the inherent label that a girl was not “physically fit” because she did not fit the social media-generated standards of athleticism became extremely common.

When I’d confront some of my own friends about the reasons they did not find an obviously beautiful girl fit, they would squirm uncomfortably, conjuring creative answers like: her voice is weird, her hair is too long, or her body is too thin. We all knew the real reason, but in my five years in attendance, nobody said it once. The existence of these microaggressions was a fundamental truth deeply rooted within the social culture. Nobody thought to question it, because it was never seen as an oppressive force. 

Woman on instagram
Photo by Kate Torline from Unsplash

What is most horrifying, however, is that I thought of myself as less of a human being because I did not fit social media’s ideal mold. The perpetual proliferation of images of beautiful women circulated by these online platforms contrasted with the reflection I saw in the mirror and completely fragmented any sense of self-worth and confidence that I had. It was here that the social dilemma became a moral one — and this terrified me. Looking back, I recognize that there is no simple solution to fix this problem because it is so individualized and psychologically rooted. But, I really do believe that talking about these matters significantly helps. Although I carry this damage with me, I’ve come to find peace in it. While peace is not acceptance, it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Molisha Shah

UC Berkeley '24

Molisha is currently a freshman at UC Berkeley intending to double major in Cognitive Science and Business Administration. In her free time, she loves painting, listening to music, watching sunrises, and dancing when nobody is watching.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.