This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

When I first started going to hot yoga, I felt transformed in many ways. It was easier to manage my stress, it improved my balance, and I even found a workout routine that I actually enjoyed. However, what I wasn’t expecting was the dehydration. 

When you sweat as much as you do in a hot yoga class — typically around 90 to a little over 100 degrees Fahrenheit — you’re losing essential electrolytes, such as sodium and magnesium, that are essential for hydration, balance, and endurance. Thus, for the past couple years, I’ve been experimenting with different (and delicious!) ways to increase my electrolytes so I can continue my practice without any negative side effects. 

coconut water

Coconut water is known as “nature’s sports drink” for a reason. Filled with potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium, it contains a host of electrolytes and nutrients that are essential for hydration and will leave you feeling your best. Though some people don’t like the taste, I personally find it to be delicious. My personal favorite brand is Harmless Harvest (the pink one)!

liquid i.v.

Quite possibly every college student is at least somewhat familiar with Liquid I.V. The brand is known for its Cellular Transport Technology, or CTT, which consists of sodium, potassium, glucose, and water. According to the company, this will hydrate you two times faster than regular water. Plus, it tastes great, with flavors such as lemon lime, watermelon, and guava! I personally like buying the Liquid I.V. Energy Multiplier, which has 100 mg of caffeine and helps wake me up for my 6:30 a.m. hot yoga classes.

nuun

Nuun’s fizzy electrolyte tablets and powders are delicious and easy to add to your water. The flavor is much more subtle and less sweet than Liquid I.V., and it only contains one gram of sugar. For the sports hydration tablets, the company suggests taking one to three a day depending on your needs. With a good balance of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and chloride, Nuun is a fun way to get your electrolytes in. 

kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

lmnt

LMNT is my personal favorite on this list — not only for its taste, but for its effectiveness. I feel more hydrated and energized after drinking these powders (and no, there’s no caffeine). Plus, they actually make me want to drink water, which I’m admittedly very bad at doing. The one thing to note about LMNT is that it’s salty — like really salty. A single packet has 1,000 mg of sodium, which is why some people only drink half a packet at a time. While I find this product to be extremely effective, if you’re worried about your sodium intake, I suggest speaking with a health professional before incorporating it into your diet.

Lauren is a senior a UC Berkeley studying English, journalism, and public health. She enjoys writing life, literature, and popular culture. Beyond Her Campus, Lauren edits for the UC Berkeley newspaper in the special issues department and freelances for travel and art publications. In her free time, she enjoys reading and going to yoga.