This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Whether your classes this upcoming semester are in-person, online, or hybrid, going back to school may be difficult after spending over a year in quarantine. With the challenges of navigating new campus policies while transitioning from summer to a busy semester, it’s important to find healthy ways to manage your mental health and grades. 

Luckily, here are some back to school tips to keep in mind for this fall:

1. Get a Planner (and actually use it!)

Having a planner is the perfect way to organize your schedule to help stay on top of your schoolwork. It’s also great for keeping track of events or club meetings throughout the semester. As students, we’re often overwhelmed with a plethora of different tasks, so a planner is an effective way to keep track of everything. Plus, think of all the stickers and markers you can use to decorate it! Planners are available both online and at your local bookstore. 

2. Create a Routine

Creating a routine will help you adjust and adapt to whatever learning situation you are in. A healthy routine can mean making sure to eat a filling breakfast before class every day or setting aside a specific day to study. If your classes are online, creating a routine can help keep you accountable when it comes to attending classes. 

3. Read Your Syllabus

Your syllabus is the most important material for the rest of the semester. It will become your guide throughout the semester and inform you of deadlines or key dates. This is also where your planner can come in handy! Write down your assignment due dates, exam information, and important course policies in your planner so that you’re always prepared.

4. Join Clubs and Organizations

After a turbulent year of lockdown and uncertainty, finding a supportive community is vital to adapt to these unprecedented times. Clubs and organizations are the perfect way to explore career and recreational interests while finding a community that can uplift you as you gain new skills. Her Campus is the perfect place to build friendships and find a tight-knit, supportive group of talented female creatives. Whether you’re interested in design, marketing, photography, podcasts, or writing, Her Campus would love for you to be a part of this community! Fall applications are now live and are due on 9/2 at 11:59 p.m. PST!

5. Get Enough Sleep!

Back to school is always an exciting time full of activities, events, and assignments, but don’t get so caught up in these activities that you neglect a good night’s rest. By keeping a planner and creating a routine, you can better manage your time in order to prevent the need for unhealthy all-nighters. Not only is sleep vital for both your mental and physical health, but also for your grades! 

With these tips in mind, you’ll be better equipped to handle unforeseen challenges and get back into the groove of things. This has been a year of struggle, but it has also taught us how to adapt to changing times. Going back to school can feel overwhelming and stressful, but remember to prioritize your wellbeing. Here’s to a great Fall semester!

Kelly Zhao

UC Berkeley '23

Kelly is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Economics with a minor in Journalism. In her free time, you can usually find her bingeing shows on Netflix, exploring food places, traveling, or eating outrageous amounts of bread.