UBC Thrive Week 2014 Mental Health on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

One of the many UBC Thrive Week booths in action 

If you were on campus last week, you likely saw or maybe even attended one of the 5th annual Thrive Week events. Thrive Week at UBC was filled with over 60 well-organized and well-attended events all aimed at building positive mental health for members of the UBC community. 

Most of the Thrive Week events focused on inocrporating small changes into your daily routine to help you combat stress and anxiety, while informing students on the resources available here at UBC if they have mental health concerns. 

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Pal-Cakes Breakfast hosted by the Thrive Team in Brock Hall on Monday, November 3rd. While it may seem cliché, one of the major factors of being productive is whether or not you are eating properly…especially breakfast. For many students, it may seem impossible some mornings to drag yourself out of bed in time to grab a bite before class, but it is a major boost to your productivity and motivation!

Why have regular pancakes when you could be eating palcakes?

The Thrive volunteers at the event made it clear that eating properly is just one of the various ways that you can build positive mental health.  “We all have stress from exams and papers but we can all deal with it differently. When you prioritize your body and mind, it makes you more prepared to handle the stress of being a student.”  The numerous other Thrive events echoed this theme, showcasing the small changes you can make in your daily routine that can help you cope with stress and anxiety to build positive mental health. For example, fitness is a major factor in positive mental health, and was a focus of many of the Thrive events.  Pop-up dance parties, yoga and zumba classes were all aimed at reinforcing this idea by introducing students to activities and clubs on campus to help facilitate this change.

Eating a nutritious breakfast is one block in building a healthy, balanced life!

While different events focused on different routine changes, all of them emphasized the de-stigmatization of mental health. The Thrive team drove this point home throughout the week by advocating for a more open discourse surrounding mental health on campus. As asserted by one volunteer,  “ If students talk more about mental health we will become more comfortable with the idea of it and no one will have to be ashamed for seeking the help they need.”  This indeed would help all UBC students Thrive.

Did you put your nutritional knowledge to the test to earn a yummy salad at the Eat to Thrive booth? We did!

All in all, Thrive week at UBC was a huge success. The well-organized and passionate events and volunteers helped prepare students to cope with stress in healthy, efficient ways to achieve positive mental health. The events facilitated great conversations about mental health on campus, and all the resources available to students.

If you are ever having difficulty coping with a mental health concern, UBC has a variety of resources that can help you Thrive. Check out the resources here.