This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The Basics

Name: Seher Asaf

Program, faculty: Political Science, Arts

Getting to Know Seher

What are your favourite hobbies? Baking, reading, writing, podcasting, making birthday cards

What part of the world do you most want to see right now? Somewhere where I can see the northern lights, perhaps Iceland or Norway

Do you have a life motto? What is it?  “When you learn, teach. When you get, give.” 

To be your friend, what do people need to know? Not a lot, really, I’m pretty open to meeting new people and getting to know them better!

Seher and UBC

Why did you choose the program you are in at UBC?  

I’ve always been interested in how political decisions are made and who has the power to influence them. We’re living in a time where knowledge of government and politics has never been more important. I wanted a solid understanding of the role of politics that would become a stepping-stone towards creating positive change in the world. 

If you could create a brand-new course at UBC in ANY subject, what would it teach?

There should be a class on how to travel all over the world on a budget, A course that taps into travel logistics, must-see destinations, the cheapest times to book flight tickets and how to discover new sights and new places while you’re still a student!

Do you have an opinion on the proposed tuition and fee increases?

It’s quite concerning, higher tuition will dissuade a lot of international students from coming to UBC. Post-secondary education is important and should be affordable for anyone who wishes to pursue it.

Romance

Relationship status: Single

Most-liked quality in a person? Authenticity.

Least-liked quality in a person? Selfishness.

Katie (she/her) has a Graduate Diploma in Business from Queen's University and a BA in Psychology with a minor in Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice Minor from the University of British Columbia. She is a former Campus Correspondent of HC at UBC and is passionate about people and their wellbeing, photography, and food.