alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Our New Editorial Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Emma Tyrchniewicz and June Rossaert will be joining the UBC Her Campus team in September 2018 as our new editorial staff. To get to know them a little better, we asked them a few questions:

Emma Tyrchniewicz 

June Rossaert

Hometown: 

Emma Tyrchniewicz: Park City, Utah

June Rossaert: Otterburn Park, Quebec

Year: 

ET: Fourth 

JR: Second

Major: 

ET: International Relations 

JR: Arts General for the time being 

Favourite place on campus: 

ET: There’s a secret water feature behind the hospital that I don’t think many people know about. It’s secluded from the road, and there’s benches and bushes of flowers in the Summer and it’s such a lovely place to sit and read in peace.

JR: Blue Chip. 

How you chose your major: 

ET: I read this book called “Theories of International Politics and Zombies” and despite being the best textbook ever, it got me interested in the subject and the different ways of looking at the issues in our society.

JR: I’m not technically accepted into the double major I want to do yet so I won’t jinx it, but I’ve always known what I loved, so it wasn’t hard to choose.

How you chose UBC: 

ET: I originally wanted to go into Archaeology, and UBC was one of the few schools outside of Europe that had the program and classes I was interested in.

JR: I visited the campus once and fell in love. Also the university is pretty renown for one of the majors I’m applying into. 

Why you decided to join Her Campus: 

ET: I’ve always been interested in writing and even the less enjoyable part of editing, and I wanted to use my strengths as part of a team that is connected to our community and delivers relatable content.

JR: I really wanted to force myself to write more often and involve myself with UBC in a more direct way. 

Current song you can’t stop listening to: 

ET: “Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra is a song I always come back to when I want to low key rock out in the car. It’s such a classic.

JR: “Cold, Cold, Cold” by Cage The Elephant is one of the best songs of all time, and I will never get tired of hearing it, ever. 

Next place you want to travel to: 

ET: Bali or Marrakech 

JR: Scotland 

First word that comes to mind when you hear “Vancouver”: 

ET: Rain 

JR: Rain 

Go-to outfit for class: 

ET: All black. Black is a classic and never goes out of style.

JR: A pair of jeans and literally the first shirt I see.

What you’re most looking forward to this Summer: 

ET: Working on my book!

JR: Visiting my friends and family in Montreal

TV/Literary character you most identify with: 

ET: Anna Kendrick for sure. Everyone tells me I look like her (I don’t see it), but I totally identify with her quirky and funny attitude and her no-holds-barred spirit.

JR: The Cabbage Man from Avatar: The Last Airbender. This is not a joke answer, that man is hero, don’t @me.

Favourite memory at UBC: 

ET: In the last week of class in second year (when it was actually sunny outside) my roommate and I made mango margaritas and sat outside the Nest to play “Hot as Balls” (basically you drink when you spot someone who is extremely overdressed for the weather – so they’re probably hot as balls).

JR: Answering one (1) question correctly at a Trivia night I half-heartedly attended because a friend of mine was going. 

Quote you guide your life by: 

ET: “The things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful.”

JR: “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” – Douglas Adams. Also most things Douglas Adams said and wrote. 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.