Hidden Gems: Clubs You Never Knew Existed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

At UBC, for nearly every shade of fascination, there’s a club out there! With more than 300 AMS clubs and organisations on campus, it’s no surprise that a few have slipped under the radar. Here are a few of those hidden gems to explore!

1. Magicians and Illusionists Club

This club is the platform for magicians and illusionists to gather and share their passion for magic and to spread the art around campus. They’re on Facebook!

2. Amateur Radio Society

Ecourages Amateur Radio as a hobby for personal interest and public service.

3. UBC Nerdfighters

The UBC Nerdfighter club is all about creating a social space on campus for nerdfighters and non-nerdfighters alike to meet, chat, and geek out together. Whether you’re into Harry Potter, Pokemon, or breaking out into Les Mis songs on your way to class, this is the place for you! They are also on Facebook.

4. Hula Hooping Club

Hula hooping is both good for fitness and fun! It’s an opportunity to learn a new way to dance and a new way to be creative with an awesome group of people. Everyone’s at different levels and it’s okay to have never hula hooped before! You can find them on Facebook.

5. Electronic Dance Music Club

Founded in 2013, the UBC EDM Club promotes interest in electronic dance music by organizing social functions in the UBC community. The club gives members the opportunity to DJ at club events and is open to all UBC students interested in electronic dance music. This is their Facebook page.

If you’re feeling a little daring and inspired after reading this, you can gather some friends togther to make your own club to one day be featured by HCUBC! (complete with fabulous .gifs)

Akshita (pronounced Ak-she-tha) hails from the beautiful lands of Nairobi, Kenya.Her interests dabble in everything from Astronomy and Social Issues to occasionally writing about herself in the third person.She enjoys photography, travelling and exploring Vancouver!