nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Tips to Reduce Stress and Anxiety in College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

College students face a lot of stress & anxiety due to various factors. Many aspects of college life, as well as the stress that comes with them, can all impact a student’s physical and emotional health. If you’re a college student facing stress, here are some ways you can maintain good health and keep your sanity.

1.Take a break, and breathe

Sometimes we find ourselves overwhelmed with assignments, exams, and personal problems. Step away from whatever current project you’re working on. Listen to music. Take a brief walk. Or even practice some yoga. Most importantly, take deep breaths that engage your entire diaphragm. This is extremely calming.

2. Limit Caffeine and Alcohol

Two of the most common drinks among young adults can cause anxiety and trigger panic attacks. Instead of the usual energy drinks or starbucks, try different tea cafes instead!

3.Make sure you’re eating well-balanced meals

As someone with a hectic and busy schedule, I know how hard it can be to eat healthy. Especially when it’s so much easier to just drop in to your local cafeteria and grab a coffee and pastry. But it’s astounding how much of what we consume can affect how we feel throughout the day. Make the time to ensure you’re eating balanced meals, and just watch how it changes your energy levels. Because remember, you are worth it.

4.Get enough sleep!

When you’re stressed, your body needs more sleep! So naps actually do more good than harm. Some of your best ideas have come right after a nap. Try it!

5. Accept that you cannot control everything.

Things happen, everyone is not perfect. There are going to be times where you do succeed like you planned on an exam, but there is always room for improvement. So instead of feeding off the negative energy, turn it into something positive. Letting the weight of the world fall from your shoulders is one of the most empowering things you can do for yourself.

Senior majoring in Psychology!
HCUAB