bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Easy DIY Shower Melts For At Home Aromatherapy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

In college, there’s not always time (or money) to spend on a spa day. Instead, you can try having a spa day right in your dorm or apartment. Shower melts are the perfect way to bring the spa vibes right into the comfort of your own bathroom. This is especially useful for those who live in dorms that don’t have bathtubs for bath bombs but want a similar effect. 

The materials for shower steamers are simple: baking soda, distilled water, essential oils, mixing bowl and utensils, molds (ice tray, silicone mold, etc.) 

The recipe:

1 cup baking soda

1/4 cup to 1/3 cup distilled water

25 drops essential oil

1. First, add 1c of baking soda to the mixing bowl.
  2. Start with 1/4 c of water and add more if needed. Mix until the consistency is that of damp sand.
  3. Add essential oils and continue to mix. 
  4. Scoop the mixture into your mold and allow to dry overnight. 

To use your shower melt all you have to do is pop it into the corner of your shower. You don’t want your melt to be directly in the water, but just get hit enough to start dissolving a little and releasing the oil. Shower melts are a good way to wind down, wake up, or even clear your nasal passages when you’re sick!

Here’s a list of essential oil combinations for your aromatherapy needs:

Clearing blends – 

peppermint + eucalyptus + lavender

lemon + eucalyptus

Calming blends – 

eucalyptus + spearmint

patchouli + sandalwood (a personal favorite!)

Invigorating blends – 

lemon + peppermint

grapefruit

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.