5 Ways To Spend This Fall Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Fall break is finally here! If you’re anything like me, then you’ve been counting down the days. Now that the time has come you might be wondering what you’re going to do the next 9 days. Here are my top 5 ways to spend break this year:

1. Catching up with hometown friends and family. 

If you’re heading home for the break it’s the perfect time to catch up with people you care about. While in the spring your college friends might have differing breaks, fall break is usually synonymous across the board! Hit up some of your high school buddies or just some of your family and plan a day to meet up. It may seem like you’ve been gone away so long that people don’t even want to see you, but you would be surprised how excited your loved ones will be to hear from you. 

2. Reading a good book.

During the semester it’s rare that I get to pick up a book for leisure. Honestly, half the time I’m struggling to read the 50-page chapters assigned on my syllabus. Over breaks, I try to choose one book on my reading list to actually start and finish. This fall break I am reading Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming. 

3. Applying for internships.

Although you’re free from classwork you can still use this time to be productive. This is a great time to start looking for internships from the spring and summer 2019. For UAB specifically, you can check out HireABlazer to see the latest internships and job opportunities in Birmingham!

4. Start creating a good habit. 

Research shows that it takes 21 days to create a habit. Although fall break is only about 9 days, it’s still a good start. You can get in the habit of journaling daily, reading a devotional, getting in bed early, or eating healthier. I recently started making green smoothies and I plan to continue to make them during the break. Hopefully, when I’m back at school I can save money by making my own smoothies instead of buying them on campus. 

5. Sleeping in.

This is a no-brainer to most people. A week off from classes most certainly means there’s time to get some shut eye. For some people though, they will book there break with so many activities that they end up not getting an actual break! Make time for your self and sleep in sometimes! 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.