This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING

COMPLETE COLLEGE GUIDE

THE BASICS

LOCATION: Laramie, WY

PUBLIC

AFFILIATIONS: APLU

SIZE: 13,990

PERCENT WOMEN: 52%

TUITION:$15,632 per year (not including Room and Board)

MASCOT: Pistol Pete, Cowboy Joe

MOST POPULAR MAJORS: Registered Nursing, Education, Business Administration and Management, Psychology

GREEK LIFE: Yes

SUPPORT SERVICES: University Disability Support Services

ACCEPTANCE RATE: 98%  

For more information about financial aid, scholarships, majors, study abroad and average test scores, visit the University of Wyoming’s website at http://www.uwyo.edu

Source: Forbes, UWyo

Why Wyoming?

If you have ever that life is better out west, that’s because it is. Laramie is a wonderful town,

focused on the college community. Whether you’re going to dinner, running to the hardware store, or stopping by one of our many adorable small businesses downtown, Poke pride is present everywhere. Laramie is abundantly proud to be the home of the University of Wyoming. Game days bring passionate Cowboys in from all over the state, and the entire town bleeds brown and gold for the day.

Laramie is conveniently located about 50 miles from Cheyenne, and 65 miles from Fort Collins. This allows for mini-getaways, weather permitting that is.

FAVORITE SPOT ON CAMPUS?

When the weather is nice, Prexy’s is usually full of students soaking up the sun. Prexy’s Pasture is a large, open, grassy area in the center of campus with unique pathways leading you to your classes. The Union falls in second for favorite spot. Once winter arrives and it is too cold to be outside, that is.

SURPRISE!

When asked what is the biggest surprise about the attending the University of Wyoming, there is one popular theme. How friendly the people are on our beautiful campus! Mickayla W. stated, “People are so friendly and welcoming everywhere on and off campus!”  Laramie is such a small, tight-knit community and it won’t take you long to notice. Whether you have a flat tire, or are looking for a place to eat, the residents of Laradise are always quick to help.

A+ FEATURES:

BEST SPOTS TO STUDY?

The best kept secret on campus is the fifth floor of Coe Library. With over 1.3 million books and counting, Coe is easily a spot you want to get lost in. There are five floors, all with differing aspects to offer each individual. The third and fourth floors are quiet study areas. The other floors encourage group work, and provide study rooms to do so. The second floor wouldn’t be complete without the McMurry reading room. This dim-lit room, has large windows, rocking chairs, and an atmosphere you’ll dream of. The fifth floor, other than during finals, remains relatively uninhabited. Tables are usually easily found, and when you’re five stories up, the views are quite amazing.  

*Picture compliments of the Author*

BEST HANGOUT SPOTS?

There are dozens of places on and off campus to hangout.  On campus locations include the Union, Book and Bean, Rendezvous, and many others! Rendezvous has amazing lunch options if you’re wanting to get something a little more personal than Panda or Pita Pit. If you grab a seat nearest the windows you can overlook Prexy’s Pasture. Book and Bean (located in Coe Library) is a great meet-up spot with friends between classes, plus their weekly specials never disappoint.

Off-campus there are tons of coffee shops, bars, ice cream shops, and other hangout locations. On Wednesday’s The Cowboy Bar does 18 and up nights. Students can come (for a small fee) to dance the night away, play pool, or occasionally ride the mechanical bull. The newest hot spot in the downtown area is 8 Bytes Game Cafe, where you can literally eat, drink, and be merry. There are arcade style games, and board games. Alcohol is also available at 8 Bytes, but underage students are still welcome. This is a perfect location for a diverse group of friends to hangout. Laramie has many great spots to hangout. The best bet is to try each place out yourself!

WHAT MAKES UW STANDOUT?

The University of Wyoming will be quick to stand out during your college search. The university is very affordable, especially for students who have attended high school in Wyoming. While on campus you will be in awe of how beautiful our campus is. What’s more than that, UW really provides a community feel right off the bat. When asked about  what make UW standout, Emily M. said, “The broad range of people all coming together to fight the cold.”

THE COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE:

The community as whole can be described as friendly, and full of pride. The students and community members are very friendly individuals, who love to show off their brown and gold. It won’t take long for you to feel welcome in this little town.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

AREA THE SCHOOL SHOULD IMPROVE UPON?

The number one most complained about issue on our campus is parking. With very limited pay-to-park spots, and even fewer openings in street parking, it is easy to get frustrated on this campus. There is the option to ride the East or South lot buses to campus though. Just be sure to be there about 30 minutes before your class begins. Bus schedules aren’t always consistent, nor is there enough room all the time. This is the cheapest option though, and the best bet for getting to campus.

IF WE COULD JUST CHANGE ONE THING…

There are several differing opinions on aspects that could change on campus. We selected three ideas that we can definitely agree with, and are sure other students do as well.

One student stated, “Advising. It is so impersonal and sometimes advisors give poor advice.”

You are responsible for laying out your own schedule. The problem with that, is sometimes class offerings change and it can mess up your entire game plan. Our suggestion? Make an appointment with your advisor (not during advising week) and create a plan to keep you on track. If you make the time to figure things out, you advisor will be happy to assist you.

Mickayla W. said, “This is totally personal, but I feel that the university is de-funding certain things that shouldn’t be and funding things that don’t need any more funding.” With current financial crisis happening in the state of Wyoming, it has been no secret that the university has had to make major budget cuts. Our new president, Laurie Nichols, declared a financial crisis earlier this year and called for a budget reduction of about $19 million for the current fiscal year.  

Finally, Alissa S. would like to see, “better, renovated buildings.” We have been fortunate enough to have several new buildings pop up on campus recently. The newest? The STEM building

LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE SCHOOL?

Luckily, the pros easily outweigh the cons of attending UW. Overall, the least favorite thing about our campus is the snow removal, or lack thereof. A common joke around campus is that they aren’t removing the snow, just polishing the ice. When the weather gets bad, it’s not uncommon to see several people (including yourself) slip on the ice. Our suggestion? Wear practical shoes. While your knee high boots may be cute, they don’t have any traction. Invest in a pair of winter boots and focus on where you are stepping.

Continue reading next week for more insider tips on the University of Wyoming!

1, 2, 4, 5  

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016