This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Let’s face it. College is stressful and you have so many things on your mind besides working out. Classes, studying, homework to name a few. At this point in the semester, it’s hard to keep up your routine and staying fit. Here are a few tips that you can do -even in college on a tight budget- that will help you stay healthy.

1. Drink Water

Water is a zero carb, zero sugar drink (shocker, right?), and it’s free to get around campus. You don’t have to spend any money to get any, just bring a water bottle! Water is also super helpful while getting used to Laramie’s high altitude.

2. Use that free gym membership to Half Acre Gymnasium

If it’s free, why not use it? And if you’re self conscious about working out in front of other people, you can always go early in the morning!

3. If you don’t like the gym, work out at home or in your dorm room

But make sure you have enough room so you don’t seriously injure yourself.

4. Eat consciously

This one’s hard for me too, guys and gals. But you can’t just rely on your workout to lose or gain weight. The other half is a healthy diet. While I love pizza just as much as the next girl, limit yourself to cheat days, maybe once every two weeks. Instead of going for our beloved greasy favorite at dinner time, have a good salad.

5. Don’t douse your salad in dressing

Salad dressing has soooooo many sugars in it. If you can’t stand bunny food without it’s delicious counterpart, try dipping your fork in the dressing, then piling the leafy greens onto the fork.

6. But don’t NOT eat.

Eating can be both healthy and not healthy. Your body’s a temple, regulate what you put inside your stomach. Not eating at all is just as unhealthy as consuming tons of sugar. Basically, your hormones will be thrown out of whack, and you might end up craving processed sugars more.

7. Meal planning is the key to success.

I’ve gotten into the routine of meal planning. Every Sunday night, I like to plan out what I’m going to eat and go to the store, then make everything. It’s easier to microwave something if you don’t feel like cooking. You have an excuse to eat something that’s sitting in your fridge- eat it so it doesn’t go bad and your hard work pays off.

8. Be confident in your ability to achieve your goal

Just remember that you can do anything and everything you set your mind to. It truly is mind over matter when it comes to working out and eating healthy!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

cover

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.