This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

After a long week you need to relax! Here’s what I do to destress:

1. Watch your favorite movie!

When I’m stressed and need a break from my responsibilities, I watch one of my favorite movies to cheer myself up. I tend to watch romantic or comedy movies in order to relax since you don’t have to pay attention the whole time to get the jist of the storyline. 

• A few recommendations:

Grease, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Hangover

2. Communicate with Family/Friends!

Although this may not sound like your typical idea of self-care, it is always good to catch up with the important people in your life. I called my grandparents last week to update them on what’s going on in my life and to check up on how they were doing. It was really nice to talk to them since we live in different states and don’t get to see each other very often. I’ve also written letters to keep in contact with some of my friends at home. I find writing to be therapeutic and I love sending/receiving letters (it makes me feel like an adult)! It’s good to reach out to those you love because sometimes you don’t realize how much you miss someone until you talk to them.

• You can send a text message, write a letter, call, or FaceTime the important people in your life to let them know you care!

3. Take a walk or sit outside for 15 – 20 minutes!

The outdoors can be therapeutic – take advantage of the sunny weather! I sit outside for 15 – 20 minutes everyday for a change of scenery. With quarantine lasting so long, most of us have been cooped up in our houses going from room to room. Going outside is a good way to escape the confinements of your room and take a breath of fresh air. The sun can benefit your health as well, it releases vitamin D which can boost mood and help you wake up. Get some sunshine!

• Where to walk in Laramie: 

Washington Park, Undine Park, UW Campus

4. Paint your nails or do a face mask!

I personally love painting my nails because it makes me feel more put together. I tend to paint my nails once or twice a week because I find it relaxing. If you don’t like painting your nails, doing a face mask once a week can be relaxing as well. There are quite a few cheap brands of face masks so you’re not spending tons of money (I’ll list a few below). Cheers to self-care!

• Best nail polish brands to buy:

Insta-Dri, essie, OPI

(all available at Walmart)

• Cheap face mask brands to buy:

Freeman, Aveeno, Yes To

(all available at Walmart)

Elena Stewart

U Wyoming '23

I am the current co-correspondent of the University of Wyoming! I spend my time reading lots of historical information, cooking, going out with my friends, and eating ice cream. I am a history major and my plans are to attend grad school to be a public librarian!