rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I Participated in Ear Acupuncture and Here’s How it Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

This week I did something that I never thought I would. I took a step out of my comfort zone and participated in auricular acupuncture (ear). I was approached by a friend from high school, who is also a student at the University of Wyoming, that presented me with this opportunity. She told me that this treatment helps with addiction, sleep, stress relief, and other beneficial factors that college students (or anyone else) could take advantage of.

I am currently on this “trend” where I try to do something different or a little out of the ordinary. I started small with things like changing up my regular order at restaurants to something I wouldn’t normally get and I went “big” a lot faster than I thought I would. I’ve never had a problem with needles, shots and piercings are no big deal for me, but I found myself nervous about six tiny needles going into my ears. Why? No clue.

I had no reason to be nervous, whatsoever. The treatment was super quick and all I had to do was sit there for 20 minutes doing nothing.

When the ladies came around to put the needles into my ear, they were were relaxed and confident about what they were doing. They told every person in the room that it may pinch/sting a little at first, but then you would begin to feel relaxed almost right away. For me, I didn’t even feel the needles pinch into my right ear, but I did with my left. I guess they hit different nerves or something.

Here is a picture with the needles in my ear.

Picture by Author

After everyone in the room had received the treatment, they turned off the lights and our only job was to relax for 20 minutes. I did this between two of my classes, a time where I would normally be immersed in homework, and I came out feeling much better than I do on a normal day. My entire body was relaxed and my mind was clear and ready for my next class. Who knew that six tiny needles could change something that quick in your body? I sure didn’t.

This group also had things called beads that would attach to the back of your ear and apply constant pressure, prolonging the effects of the treatment. I really wanted to try these because they are supposed to last for a few days, but I had to rush off to class. My other friend, Emmaline, also went with me and participated, be on the lookout for her reaction article later this week!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying it out. This group is trying to get this offered on campus, free to students, so be on the lookout for it Pokes!

1

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016