This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Whether you want to admit it or not, everyone has days where they just aren’t happy with themselves. It’s hard to face and even harder to talk about because you don’t want anyone to know how you feel. Though I never bring it up, there are plenty of days where I just feel like I’m worthless. This isn’t going to be an article where I tell you it’s okay to wallow in self-pity and lay around in sweatpants because you can. It’s quite the opposite, actually. Your self-confidence won’t grow by eating a tub of ice cream and crying over The Notebook, it will grow by getting your ass out of bed and not letting your insecurities win.

It sounds easier said than done, but trust me, fixing how you feel by acting on it is the fastest and most beneficial way to solve something– even self-confidence. So, if you wake up feeling low for whatever the reason, get out of bed. Do not use it as an excuse to stay curled up under the covers and watching Friends to make yourself laugh. Get out of bed, get ready for the day by doing your hair, makeup and wearing your favorite outfit. Make yourself feel good on the outside, even if it’s hard. There’s a saying that holds a lot of truth to its words and it’s: “look good, feel good,” so do it.

Another thing I try to do when I have low self-esteem days is try to remind myself of the successes I’ve had recently. Whether it’s a small thing like getting an A on an assignment or a big thing like becoming a nationally published journalist, I remind myself that I am capable of great things. Just because I feel upset at the moment doesn’t mean I’m actually worthless. So remind yourself of the successes you’ve had, big and small. It helps a lot to remember how important you are.  

Another way to combat your low self-confidence is to surround yourself with people who remind you of your worth. Nothing is more helpful than people who support you for who you are. It’s nice on days when you’re at war with yourself to have people who care to distract you. Go to lunch with a close friend, call your mom or dad, see your boyfriend for dinner, do something with someone who loves you. It makes a world of difference.

My last piece of advice is to do something you really love. For me, it’s listening to my favorite songs while on a long drive, talking to God and drinking a coconut latte. For others, it could be something else, but do it. Nothing makes me feel more at peace than taking time to myself to think and reflect. On days where I feel low, it helps to indulge in my favorite things because it just feels good. So don’t worry about things you need to get done–they can wait a couple of hours while you take time to feel better. Your happiness needs to come first.

Overall, don’t feel ashamed of how you feel. It’s normal to have days where you just don’t feel like yourself, but the important part is to keep going. It only makes things worse if you choose to wallow in your pain. Do your best to be positive, negative things only last for so long.

Cover

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.