This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Maclean’s Magazine recently released their annual Canadian university rankings. UVic placed third in the Comprehensive category, which includes universities offering a wide variety of degrees for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as professional programs, in addition to conducting a significant amount of research. Go, UVic!

You probably know the basic programs offered by UVic that most other universities also have: biology, psychology, philosophy, history, English, French, mathematics—I could go on. UVic also offers a number of unique programs that you may or may not have heard of. Here’s an overview of cool and offbeat UVic programs.

Professional Writing Minor in Journalism and Publishing

Offered by the writing department, the professional writing minor is ideal for those who wish to pursue a career in the field of journalism and publishing. Whether you want to be a writer, an editor, or a reporter, this minor has many courses of interest. The only required courses are WRIT 215: Journalism and WRIT 315: Advanced Journalism. The rest of the credits toward the minor come from the pools of core electives and additional electives. Possible courses you could take include WRIT 322: Magazine Publishing; WRIT 326: Digital Media for Storytellers; and WRIT 440: The Writing Business. Go here for more information on this minor.

Combined Major in Music and Computer Science

Studio recording, film and television audio, live music performance and music sampling all require extensive knowledge of how technology and music overlap. If you’re interested in any of these areas, check out the combined major in music and computer science. In this program, students enrol in all the core courses of both the music and computer science majors, excluding the private lessons required for a music degree. Courses required for this program include MUS 207: Music, Science and Computers; SENG 310: Human Computer Interaction; and MUS 401C, Acoustics of Music. Go here and here for more information.

Film Studies Program

Minor and a general programs in the field of film studies are jointly offered by the Faculties of Fine Arts and Humanities. Students learn techniques for film analysis, broaden their perspectives on film, and gain greater appreciation for film in the context of history and culture. Students must complete AHVS 295A and AHVS 295B: Introduction to Film Analysis, then nine units from a wide selection of courses spanning twelve departments. Such courses include FA 305: Theory and Practice of Film and Video Direction; GNDR 344: Queer Film; and PAAS 484: Identity in Animated Japanese Cinema. See the course calendar for a full list of film studies courses.

Combined Major in Biology and Psychology

A dual focus on the mind and body in biology and psychology is ideal for students hoping to enter such fields as medicine, dentistry, and neuroscience. This program is composed of selected courses from each degree program, giving students a solid background in both. Such courses include PSYC 210: Conceptual Foundations of Psychology; BIOL 367: Neurobiology: Molecules to Behaviour; PSYC 345A Drugs and Behaviour: Basic Principles. The calendar has more information on this degree.

If you’re still not sure what program you want to complete at UVic, take a look at the course calendar to get a sense of your options. If you’re really stuck, book an appointment with an academic advisor.

Sources: 1

Originally from Surrey, British Columbia, Arianna Cheveldave is a fourth-year student at the University of Victoria. As a writing major with a professional communication minor, Arianna is proud to be the managing editor of Her Campus at UVic. She loves Italian food, national flags, and having a clean desk. When not locked in her room studying, she enjoys choral singing, watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and reading things that aren't textbooks. Depending on the occasion, she is known to always have ready a quick remark, a listening ear, or a bad pun.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison