Life > Academics

It’s Midterm Season, Are you Doing Enough Self Care?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s the middle of the semester. The group projects, keeping up with chores and shortening days are all combining to make me a lot more high-strung than usual. You might be feeling the same way. Maybe you’re lonely, bored or you’re simply vibing. Whatever you’re feeling, it’s time for a check-in.

In the rush of a new semester, a lot of things get swept under the rug. For today’s check-in, let’s get back to basics. This month went by fast! Let’s make sure you’ve got everything accounted for.

Have you called a loved one lately?

It doesn’t need to be mom or dad (but if you have a good relationship with your folks, give them a call!). In my first year especially, I didn’t feel like I had close friends to confide in at UVic. I made use of video calling and would spend hours hanging out with my other best friends. It can be very grounding and comforting to hear the voice of someone you love.

Are your sheets clean?

This is such a small task, but I’m guilty of not doing this often enough. If you’ve been putting off washing your sheets, this is your sign to wash them. Seriously. Strip the bed and haul ass to the laundry room. Getting the cover back on your duvet might be tedious, but clean sheets will feel life-changing.

Bonus: If your sheets are clean, that’s great! Now vacuum your room. Seriously, you should do it at least once a month. Please.

Have you left the house/campus this week?

Especially during this pandemic, we’re all pretty used to being at home. Now that campus is open again, we’re forced to leave the house, but barely. It’s time to pull out that Victoria bucket list (anyone who moved here to go to school has one, I know) and start checking things off. Especially since it’s pumpkin patch season!

Do you know which deadlines are coming up?

Right now, my day planner is what’s getting me through the week. You might have better luck with a calendar on the wall, an app like Notion or just a scrap of paper, but getting deadlines figured out now will help you prioritize and take better care of yourself.

Are you getting enough sleep?

I already know you aren’t. Don’t lie. And no, five hours is not enough sleep. You might be feeling okay after late nights and early mornings slamming down Munchie Bar coffee, but it catches up with you. You’ve probably heard every piece of advice: no phones before bed, no doing anything in bed that isn’t sleeping or sex, setting a routine. It’s good advice.

If you said yes to every item on the list, that’s fantastic! If not, that’s okay! I didn’t either. You don’t have to do all of these things now, just choose one thing to do and make it your goal for the day. 

One of the keys to succeeding in university is putting your well-being first. If you need help navigating the stresses of school or even just someone to talk to, UVic has a plethora of resources you can take advantage of. Some good starting points are the Peer Support Centre, the Student Wellness Centre, and my very favourite thing: the UVic Pet Cafe.

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.