neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

3 (better) Ways to Deal with Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

We’re almost at the end of October and we all know that means midterms. The never ending piles of queue cards and stacks of study guides equals a-stressed-out you. Stress can cause weight gain, angry outbursts, muscle tension, anxiety, a lack of motivation and overall, not a good feeling. Despite this frankly awful time of the year, it is still very important to take care of yourself properly. Aside from the typical advice to “take a deep breath” or “take a walk” here are some more enjoyable ways to practice self-care this midterm season:

Take a workout class

This is my favourite way to take a break from any stressors – academic or not. I love trying new fitness studios and finding instructors who challenge me, and who also have great playlists. Whether you prefer yoga, spin, boxing or strength training, Victoria is full of boutique studios that have unique offerings. 

If you love spin try SpinCo for a great workout and an actual party. Between the dark lighting, loud music, and upbeat, energizing instructors, you will feel so refreshed after your workout. Not only will you be drenched in sweat, but you’ll feel brand-new and ready to tackle that next set of practice exam questions. 

Looking to build strength and for a seriously hard workout? Functional Fit at Oak Bay Fitness might be your new favourite way to get your sixty-minutes-a-day in. Throughout a one-hour class you’re guided through 10-12 stations of diverse exercises using various equipment and weights of your choice. The classes are completely adaptable to every fitness level and the instructors are incredibly helpful in making you feel comfortable. In addition to being very sore after, your brain will be rested, your brain on the other hand will be well rested and ready to go.

Listen to a sleep story

A tactic I’ve recently discovered to help me fall asleep, whether it be at night or taking a nap, is to listen to a sleep story. These are essentially 15-45 minutes of bedtime stories that are specifically written to help you fall asleep. They are read by speakers with calm, relaxing voices (check out Matthew McConaughey or Morgan Freeman!) and are a great way to wind down after a stressful day. I like them because they interrupt my negative thoughts about school, work, or relationships, and just allow me to take a moment and be present. I listen to mind on the Calm app, but YouTube has plenty of great options.

Plan ahead 

This may sound like a given, but planning your week and thinking ahead is one of the best ways to keep yourself and your stress levels in check. Whether you prefer a physical paper planner or an electronic calendar, choose the option that you’re most likely to use consistently. At the beginning of each week, sit down and plan out when you’re going to complete assignments, study for tests, and do readings. Time-block sections of the day to fit in exercise, or any errands you need to complete. I also like to add in time blocks for when I’m cooking and what I’m making so that I don’t default to throwing random things together or eating out. This may sound like a lot of work, but in twenty minutes you will feel as though a huge weight has been taken off of you.

These three stress-relieving strategies are my secrets to staying sane during midterm season. If you’re unsure of how to even start managing your stress, give these a try and adapt them to best fit you and your lifestyle. You got this!

Hi!
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.