kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stay Fit This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The holidays are over, and reality has surely kicked in at this point — school is back in session. Although it is difficult to get back into gear after such a long break, an even tougher task is to stay fit and dedicated to a healthy lifestyle during the winter time. Between school, homework, part-time jobs, extracurricular and a social life, the last thing on a girl’s mind is healthy living. This article will outline tips and tricks to stay fit this winter and keep those winter-time pounds at bay!

Make minor changes

Little changes can create a world of difference. Between the day-to-day drivel a girl has to deal with, finding time to hit the gym or go for a jog can at times be very difficult. A sure way to stay fit is to modify your daily routine to reflect your fitness goals. If every morning you bring the car to school, try parking at the far end of the lot and walking the distance you’d regularly drive. When you’re taking out your dog for a stroll, try slapping on some running shoes and go for a jog rather than a walk. Instead of riding that elevator to the eighth floor, take a deep breath and walk the stairwell the whole way. Minimal changes to your everyday life can truly impact the way you view fitness. Modifying your daily routine forces you to take a hard look at your habits, and to make decisions that encourage you to live a more active lifestyle.

Modify your diet

Yes, this is difficult, and probably the most troublesome task on this list. “Diet” doesn’t have to be a scary and overwhelming word, although in most cases it is. The term “diet” is associated mainly with depravity, and this does not have to be the case. Modify your diet not by eating less and cutting out certain food groups, but by portioning your meals and making healthier choices. If you feel as if you need a snack, don’t deprave yourself! Grab a cup of fresh fruit or some fresh veggies and hummus for something both tasty and healthy. If you want a bite of chocolate, go right ahead! Rather than devour the entire bar in one sitting, try having just a piece and portioning the rest of the bar for the week — that way, you’re satisfying your craving but not overindulging on unhealthy foods. View your diet with an open mind — eat what you want, when you want, but reasonably and with boundaries. This way, you are satisfied with your diet and at the same time making healthier choices for yourself.

Utilize your surroundings

Yes, the gym is great, but it isn’t the only place to sweat it out. If you cannot or will not hit the gym, there are plenty of other ways to stay active. Jog outside the neighbourhood if you feel you’re in need of some cardio. Shovel that driveway full of snow if you want to work out your arms and be productive at the same time. Ask a couple of friends to join you for a game of basketball at the local rec centre, or pull up some fitness videos online that you can perform in the comfort of your own home. There are plenty of ways to stay active, and finding what suits you best is the key to staying happy and healthy in the long run

Pamela Ballares is a second year student at the esteemed University of Toronto, pursuing a double major in both Book and Media Studies and English. In addition to online shopping, applying nail polish and catching up on missed television episodes, you're most likely to find Pamela excitedly reading a recent buy from the bookstore or tirelessly obsessing over a sentence in one of her various short stories. Pamela aspires to be employed at one of the glossy magazines she peruses so frequently, but as of now she is content providing you excellent customer service as a Sales Associate at her local part-time occupation. Feel free to follow Pamela’s personal photography album via Instagram @serallab!
Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.