bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Explore the Student Life App!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Ann Marie Elpa 

Being at a university as large as U of T can be both a blessing and a curse. There are so many resources available here, but how is it possible to keep track of everything?

The Student Life app has the answer! This application gives an organized list of things ranging from academics to community building; and of course, health and wellness. As the welcome page on the app explains, “The U of T Student Life app is a guide to Student support services and involvement opportunities on the St. George Campus. Browse categories, or use the search function to find what need, when you need it!” 

Not only that, but you can also use the app to keep track of your personal progress, set goals for yourself, and set reminders. It is also conveniently organized by category to help you navigate all of the available information. There is even a map built in to the system to make things that much easier to navigate, especially if you’re still getting familiar with U of T. 

To start, the Campus Resource section provides access to useful information for all students. Based on my experience exploring the app, here are a few of the highlights.

Under Practical Stuff/Plan your Commute/Discounted TTC Passes, you can find a whole range of places offering student discounts, including the AGO, Canada’s Wonderland, and so many more! And isn’t that one of the best things about being a student? I think these perks definitely provide an incentive to spend some time relaxing. 

Under Study/Academic Support Services, the app provides tips on how to talk to profs, how to succeed academically, and even gives links to all of the writing centres here at U of T. And of course, academic well-being can make life at university so much easier to manage.

In the Be Well section, information on the Health and Wellness Centre can be found, as well as tips for managing stress and anxiety. The app suggests maintaining an active lifestyle, meeting with a counsellor, and visiting this page for more resources. Further, the app provides information on grief supportGood2Talk (a confidential post-secondary student helpline), as well as mindful meditation. U of T offers numerous meditation sessions during the week, and the schedule can be found here. Within the app, you can also find information on the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for health coverage. 

Under the Grow section, you can also find information on faith and spirituality, leadership and governance, and other community services offered at the university. 

The app also gives suggestions for students in all years of study, including finding jobs on campus, keeping on track with studies, taking care of yourself, growing your network, gaining international experience, and the like. Simply go to the appropriate tab under Campus Resources to see all of the suggestions. 

Quite a few people, including myself, had never heard of this app before; but knowing about the resources included in this application would have helped me out immensely. So I would absolutely recommend giving it a try! All in all, this app makes finding things much more accessible; because more likely than not, we all have our phones beside us right now.

Of course, this is by no means a comprehensive list of everything available at the university, but it surely does give you something to get started! Even if you’re not looking for anything specific, it is a worthwhile endeavour just downloading the app and seeing what’s out there. You might even surprise yourself like I did, so take some time, explore, and enjoy! You are only at this university for so long, so take advantage of all it has to offer, with help from the student life app.