Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Wellness

Make Time for Yourself: 5 Self Care Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

People often underestimate the importance of self-care, especially nowadays, when we all get carried away with life, whether that be work or school. However, especially now that we’re all facing a global crisis together, it’s important that every person takes a step back to sit, breathe, and actually listen to what their body needs. 

I never really thought about self-care until I came to college and honestly…it changed my entire life. Giving myself the time to care about myself, even with something as small as a 10-minute break, makes a huge difference. I feel happier and more relaxed, and that’s the whole point of self-care! Right now, taking a few minutes to relax can really help your mental and emotional health. 

There’s no particular method of self-care. Honestly, it’s what you want to make of it. One person’s self-care may not be the same as another’s. However, if you don’t know where to start, here are some ideas that will work even as you’re staying safe at home! 

Replicate one of Bob Ross’s Paintings 

You probably have some old paint brushes and acrylic paint laying around; if not, keep an eye out when you go out to buy essentials. Then, just sit in your room, pick a Bob Ross video, and follow along! You can either do this by yourself or grab some friends for more fun (virtually, of course – let’s all help flatten that curve)! Bob Ross has such a soothing voice, guaranteeing relaxation. Not only that, but he also gives great life advice and even cracks some jokes here and there. Even though you may not end up with an exact replica of his painting, you’ll definitely have fun doing it! 

Apply a Face Mask

I love doing a face mask when I have the time. Not only are face masks affordable, but they also take just 10-15 minutes to do. Additionally, I can always do something else while my face mask is on. Every time I take my face mask off, I feel like my face has been rejuvenated. 

Do a DIY Project

A DIY project is perfect for anyone who enjoys being hands-on and creative. Honestly, you don’t have to be artistic to create something simple like a scrapbook or photo album. This is a good time to create personal gifts for your loved ones as well! It’s a relaxing way to have your imagination run wild, and you also get the opportunity to stay away from your phone (and the news) for a short period of time. If you run out of ideas, you can look at Pinterest for inspiration for tons of cute and fun DIY projects!

Call Your Family and Friends From Back Home

I feel like when you’re in college, you tend to forget about home because you’re so busy with college life, especially with the tons of homework assignments and exams you have to study for. Now, due to the importance of social distancing, you might find yourself more isolated than ever. Make sure to take the time to call one of your family members or your closest friends from home. Let them know how you’re doing and give them an update on your life. In return, you’ll get to know what’s been happening in their life. It always feels nice to hear from the people you don’t get the chance to talk to on a daily basis. 

Clean Your Room

This may not seem like a self-care idea, but honestly, you’ll be surprised to realize that many people don’t clean their room as often as they want. However, cleaning your room is important, not only for hygienic purposes, but also because the cleaner your space, the more refreshed you’ll feel.  It may seem like a tedious task, but research has shown that you’ll actually sleep better! 

So, what are you waiting for? Whether you’re looking for a good study break from finals or prepping for a summer of total relaxtion, these self-care ideas will put you on the right track!

Sophia Tran

U Penn '23

Sophia is currently a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania, majoring in Biochemistry. In her free time, she loves baking for her family. She also builds rockets for fun!