kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Poop. Something we all do and definitely the butt of many jokes. (See what I did there?) If you are concerned about your pooping habits or just like talking about poo in general, then this is the article for you.

First things first, what is an acceptable colour of poo? Any shade of brown and tinged green means you are good to go! When it is another colour outside of those two something else might be going on. 

Green 

When your poo is green it might mean that you have recently eaten a lot of greens or food is passing too quickly through your body.

Yellow 

If your poo is yellow, you might have too much fat in your diet or have celiac disease.

Clay-coloured or white

Having a white poo would be quite the shock and it could mean that your bile duct is blocked. 

Red

This could mean you have bleeding in your lower intestine. Don’t panic yet! It could also just be from hemorrhoids or eating red food. 

Black 

Iron supplements and eating black licorice have a tendency to make your poop darker than normal; however, it could also mean there is bleeding in your upper intestinal tract. 

Why does my poo float?

An article by Everyday Health says that this could be a sign of high fat content or malabsorption which means you can’t absorb enough fat or other nutrients from the food you are eating. 

I’m pooping 3 times a day! What is wrong with me?

Nothing! Everyone has different pooping schedules and that is completely normal. According to a study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, it is normal to poop 3 times per week to 3 times daily. A concern might be if your pooping schedule changes from what you are used to. 

What do the different shapes of my poo mean?

There is this awesome thing called the Bristol Stool Scale which classifies your poop into different types. Types 1 and 2 are signs of constipation. Types 3 and 4 are what you want your poop to look like. Types 5, 6 and 7 are indicators of diarrhea. See the photo below for descriptions of each type.

Adrienne Graham

U Ottawa '22

Adrienne is a first year International Development and Globalization student in the French Immersion program. She enjoys binge watching TV shows on Netflix, trying out new coffee shops, and running. She is also an avid soccer fan with her favourite team being Liverpool FC. Her long term goals are to publish a novel and to travel to every continent while her short term goal is simply to enjoy every moment as it comes at her.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.