Anna Schultz-Hand Holding Iphone In Pink Lighting
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

HCUO Beauty Awards: TikTok Picks

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
Her Campus at uOttawa’s Beauty Awards series shares the best skincare, haircare, and cosmetic product recs that our chapter has to offer. We hope that our favourites will become your favourites too.

The rise in popularity of the “That Girl” trend on TikTok has convinced many of us that we need to invest in certain beauty products in order to become the healthiest and happiest version of ourselves, which, really, couldn’t be further from the truth. Everyone is on their own journey, and it’s just not worth it to waste your money and energy on things that may not work for you just because someone on the Internet endorsed them. 

However, there’s also no harm in trying out the products that you think you might genuinely like. And that’s what I consider to be the hidden beauty of the “That Girl” trend: although it might not seem like it at first, you do have the freedom to tailor it to your individual needs and goals. Take me, for example. I, personally, have ended up really liking many of the beauty products I found on TikTok and I have implemented many of them into my daily beauty routine. Without any further ado, here are my top five. 

PAcifica Lash serum, $19, Shop Now

I started to use this lash serum in November after seeing a TikTok influencer talk about how much she loved a similar product by Rodan+Fields. I wanted to experiment with something similar without breaking the bank, and I have found Pacifica’s lash serum to be a great dupe. 

Lash serum is still a relatively new beauty product, but studies already show it to be a healthier alternative to eyelash extensions. This is primarily because eyelash extensions can cause serious damage to delicate lash hairs, and because bacteria build-up under the glue can lead to eye infections. 

Not only does lash serum protect your eyelashes from environmental factors — thus keeping them fluffier, healthier, and longer — but it’s also more cost-effective than eyelash extensions and requires less maintenance in the long run. All it takes is a few quick swipes of the serum before bed (similar to applying mascara) and a rinse in the morning; It’s that simple!

Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail + Cuticle Oil, $5, Shop Now

I used to spend a lot of time and money getting my nails done each month at a salon. However, although I absolutely adored my nail lady and genuinely enjoyed the outing, I have since decided to level up my self-care at home so that my nails could stay pretty and healthy all month long.

After seeing a TikTok video by Studio Bari Nails, I invested in a small bottle of this cuticule oil. I apply it to my nails two to three times a day and follow it up with a hand cream at night to lock in the moisture. I only really need to use a tiny bit each time, so it lasts me a few months! There has not been one morning where I haven’t woken up with my hands feeling like silk gloves. 

Pro tip: if you don’t have the time, or if you often forget to use it, keep your oil by the bathroom sink to remind yourself to apply after washing your hands. 

Balayage, $100-$300, Find a Salon

Dying your hair doesn’t have to equal an existential crisis. Why do we automatically assume everyone who’s sporting hair that doesn’t look like their natural colour is going through it? If you can afford it, dying your hair can really help you to own your appearance and feel better about yourself. 

My hair was very blonde when I was a child but gradually became darker as I got older. Once I turned 18, I realized how much I preferred my lighter hair, so I decided to treat myself to a balayage… and I loved it! It was exciting to experiment with different hairstyles and outfits that made my hair colour stand out more.

Gucci Bloom Ambrosia di Fiori Eau de Parfum Intense For Her Rollerball, $41, Shop Now 

Wearing a perfume that I love helps me feel more put together and boosts my confidence by miles. I also like to apply a small spritz before bed to give my dream-state self something pleasant to look forward to!

Like I mentioned earlier, however, it’s important not to feel pressured to choose a specific scent just because it’s “trending.” Some people are allergic or sensitive to certain scents, which is completely normal and okay. Feel free to experiment with different scents until you find one that works for you.

I’m personally not a big fan of strong scents, which is why this subtle Gucci pick works perfectly for me. Plus, it has a rollerball applicator, which is an added bonus for those of us who struggle to grasp a bottle and hold down a spray nozzle at the same time (if that’s you, you’re not alone — I’ve got you!).

Mosanana square Cat-Eye SUnglasses, $24, shop now

At first read, it might not seem like sunglasses are related to beauty. However, if you’re like me and your eyes are ridiculously light (shoutout to my Slavic genes), wearing sunglasses (yes, even in the winter) may be the one thing to save you from incessant squinting. Protecting your eyes from environmental factors also allows you to practice other beauty hacks more efficiently, as it allows you to better see what you’re doing.

I’ve struggled for years to find a comfortable pair of sunglasses that I feel good about wearing. So, when I saw one of my style icons Hailey Bieber sporting these Saint Laurent sunnies at the 2021 Met Gala, I instantly fell in love with them. Unfortunately, Miss Hailey and I are not in the same socioeconomic bracket, so I had to find a dupe with a similar shape. These ones are almost identical to Hailey’s, and they’ve become my new go-to pair. 

I hope you love these products as much as I do! And if you don’t? Well… that’s what Tiktok trends are for. And, all in all, they might not be so bad if they help you to discover those little things that make your life better.

Do you love what we love? Check out the other articles in our Beauty Awards series:

Read about our favourite haircare and cosmetic products.

Learn about the woman-owned and Indigenous-owned beauty brands that inspire us.

Visit our go-to salons.

May your beauty shine from the inside out.

Nina Popovic is a fourth-year student majoring in Conflict Studies and Human Rights, and minoring in Communications at the University of Ottawa.